Home Chat General Chat

new forest half iron man

i have been thinking about training for a half iron man this year, there is the New forest event which is on the 23rd September. is this a hard Half Iron Man to take on as my first go.

Comments

• Have no idea, have you checked results times and compared to other events, that shold give ou a clue.

Also what is the bike route, would guess this is publicised what is the total elevation climb.

Hope this helps
  • glynnglynn Posts: 2
    thanks very much, i have emailed the events manager, but am still waiting for a reply.
  • hi there entered this last year and it was my second half ironman, my first being wimbleball which was also my first triathlon. I found the new forest to be an absolute gem .... so much so im going again this year and in comparison to wimbleball [ironman uk 70.3] a very good one to cut your teeth on.

the bike i'd describe as rolling, but nothing to worry about ... i think i was out the saddle maybe three times and even then it was only long drags of if i remember rightly were nothing more than 6%. tbh i had a great day on the bike, the new forest is a beautiful place to ride and compared to riding in the westcountry where i am even 'rolling hills' meant i kept my speed up.

the run is a bit of a different story, coming out of transition you head down the road before reaching the first hill after about 3 miles ... a 20 % wall .. i walked up it. after that you hit the bridleways and its pretty much a similar story, a nasty little hill every 3 miles then along the road to sandy balls to finish.

IMO a great race, took the chance to spend a few days up there and it rounded the season off nicely.