Home Chat General Chat

new TT bike made run worse

hi,
I bought a new TT bike last week and today raced it for the first time in a sprint distance tri. I knocked 2 mins off my cycle leg from last year but lost nearly 2 mins on the run. I dont think i tried that much harder on the bike than i did last year but my legs were absolutely shot this time on the run. Has anybody else found that their running has suffered after riding TT bikes as opposed to a drop handlebar road bike? Perhaps my legs will adapt to the new style of riding and I will get my run speed back after time? I hope so as running was my main strength! Be interesting to hear what other people have experienced.
Thanks.

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    The reverse should be true; see the Garside study http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

A conventional 74 deg road bike rider was found to struggle for the first 2.5k of the run whereas a 76-78 deg geometry tri bike enables a triathlete to lterally get into there stride straight away.

How have you set the bike up? Have you had a bike fit? Have you simply transferred your road settings over? Have a look at this http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html
  • Maybe weak hamstrings that you utilize on a TT bike let you down on your run.

Can you describe why you were slower ?

Pain ? fatigue ?

What distance was the run and what time did you do it in ?

How were you post race ?

Bike fit is very very important for a TT bike. Did you buy of the shelf ?
  • dpe1000dpe1000 Posts: 6
    Hi, thanks for the replies.
    I bought the bike from my lbs but I haven't had a bike fit. They put the bike on a turbo trainer for me and did a very basic set-up of saddle height and reach but that was it.
    I was also led to believe that i would run stronger off the TT bike but that was far from the case! It may have been a one-off bad day but 2 mins slower than last year on a 4 mile run is a hell of a lot to lose! Last year i did the run in 24 mins, this year it was almost 26 mins. No pain on the run, just nothing in the legs. Post race felt fine. I've been running as well if not better in training than last year.
    Think I'll take your advice and get it fitted properly. I was faster on the bike but it sure as hell wasn't comfortable. The lbs I got it from offer the BG fit service so I think I'l go for that. Next tri is May 13th so we'll see if it makes a difference.
    Thanks.
    Ah well, that's it, with a bike fit you will be in a comfy position, if you are hurting something is wrong. How were you hurting?
  • What part of the country do U live in ?
    wouldnt say i was hurting, just extremely uncomfortable in the neck and nether regions! The legs were obviously more fatigued than on my road bike.

I'm in cornwall.
    I would venture a guess that you may be a tad low on the bars, having said that the aero position can be a 'pain in the neck' at first.

Have a look at that link I sent re bike fit and read the section "A NEW FORMULA FOR SLACKER-ANGLED ARMREST DROP?" A common mistake is to set the bars way too low, causes the hip angle to pinch up.

Ideal angles between fore and upper arms should be 90deg, upper arm and back 90deg, back to hip, pedal spindle 90deg.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Once you've got the setup correct expect it to take up to 4 weeks of riding to get your muscles working well at the new geometry. Muscles will be strongest and work best over the range that you train them. Change the geometry and that range will change so you need to re-train them. Looks like you overtired your legs on the bike especially as you had only owned the bike for a short time before the race.

Also don't expect to feel as "smooth" or "efficient" with the new setup to start with as your old bike because you will need time to adapt. Change should feel awkward to begin.

Remember to do your bike to run brick sessions as well.

HarryD
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

by HarryD » 10 Apr 2012 08:43

Once you've got the setup correct expect it to take up to 4 weeks of riding to get your muscles working well at the new geometry. Muscles will be strongest and work best over the range that you train them. Change the geometry and that range will change so you need to re-train them. Looks like you overtired your legs on the bike especially as you had only owned the bike for a short time before the race.

Also don't expect to feel as "smooth" or "efficient" with the new setup to start with as your old bike because you will need time to adapt. Change should feel awkward to begin.

Remember to do your bike to run brick sessions as well.

HarryD

+1

Although I personally allow 6 weeks for any adaptions for me to take place.
    Thanks everybody for the replies. I've booked the bike fit for next weekend and am now off into the garage and on the turbo trainer to start a brick session.
    Roll on 6 weeks time when I get my running legs back!
  • What bike did you plump for ?
    willieverfinish wrote:
    What bike did you plump for ?
    Argon 18 E-112 with a set of Mavic Cosmics
  • nice

Good work