Home Chat General Chat

Long term joint protection supplements

Hello,
Looking for as many opinions as possible on this! After turning 30 last week I'm thinking about a long term Joint health.
I already do the obvious avioding running on hard surfaces where possible and cross training. I'm looking at the wide range of nutrition products aimed at joint health. So the my main points are as follows

1) Does anyone else think about this?
2) What products do you use if any? been looking at a seven seas one a day codliver, multi vitamin mixed in with conclusamine

I had cartlage operation on one of knees already and worried about long term joint health.

Any opinions and comments welcome

Thanks!

Comments

• mixed in with conclusamine
    Er... do you mean Glucosamine ?
  • Right on que 'teamlaws' with a negative response!

yes, you are correct with my spelling error.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My GP recommended Glucosamine so have been taking that along with cod liver oil as my knees are delicate
  • Loads of studies to show glucosamine and chrondoitin help with cartilidge/ joint repair.

....Ive no idia how manee words I splet worng in their.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Trisurfer wrote:
    Right on que 'teamlaws' with a negative response!

I think you mean "cue".
  • Jack Hughes wrote:
    [quote="Trisurfer":3gpq4rsc]Right on que 'teamlaws' with a negative response!

I think you mean "cue".[/quote:3gpq4rsc]
    Knew you couldn't resist!
    Arrange these in order of importance for joint care:

Keeping lean
    Keeping muscles strong with both load and non load bearing exercises
    Good genes
    Good bio dynamics
    Avoiding traumatic injuries and invasive surgery.
    Good diet
    joint supplements.

There isn't any real evidence to say that glucosamine and chondroitin have any significant effect. The best we can say is that they might have some benefit, and won't do any harm. You would probably need a high strength and be taking them forever. They are not cheap. There are better things you can do. Although the best ones are hard work or out of your control.
  • Thanks for the input,

won't hurt to continue with the cod livers then!

I have also learned from this thread the correct spelling of Glucosamine and it is in fact 'cue' and not 'que'

Sure I remember the forum being more easy going in the past, no wonder its not what it used to be. Shame
    I was pulling your leg.

And I think you misinterpreted Willieverfinish's post a bit. He's not negative at all!
  • Trisurfer - you've got me all wrong mate. Just trying to inject a bit of banter in a dying forum
  • move up forum
  • Apologies for taking comments personally!

Noted some new training ground while out running last night.

Looking for soft non-technical running ground to save the knees? hit the local golf course after dark! avoiding tee's & greens of course!
  • Glucosamine and Cod Liver Oil are definitely a good shout on the joint front. Also, I found for generally keeping me from succumbing to the dreaded manflu Berocca's pretty effective.

Just recommending this as I find I'm more susceptible to injury when I'm run down.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    About soft surfaces..I was reading a report recently that says soft surfaces are actually no better than normal hard surfaces for joints. Apparently research suggests that the body adapts so well to the surfaces used that ( I assume) over time the impact is the same on the joints, that is it 'softens' itself & it mitigates impact more on hard surfaces, & does less so on soft..net result no difference. Not sure I agree, but you will run differently dependant upon surface, so I can see where the adaptation may occur.
  • geoffarmgeoffarm Posts: 1
    Following on from last months article on 'PROTECTING OUR JOINTS' I would suggest that the following from the BMJ website be taken on board before anyone goes out and spends their hard earned cash on the products mentioned. I am also dissapointed that further research was not undertaken before publishing this article.

Abstract

Objective To determine the effect of glucosamine, chondroitin, or the two in combination on joint pain and on radiological progression of disease in osteoarthritis of the hip or knee.Design Network meta-analysis. Direct comparisons within trials were combined with indirect evidence from other trials by using a Bayesian model that allowed the synthesis of multiple time points.

Main outcome measure Pain intensity. Secondary outcome was change in minimal width of joint space.

For none of the estimates did the 95% credible intervals cross the boundary of the minimal clinically important difference. Industry independent trials showed smaller effects than commercially funded trials (P=0.02 for interaction). The differences in changes in minimal width of joint space were all minute, with 95% credible intervals overlapping zero.

Conclusions Compared with placebo, glucosamine, chondroitin, and their combination do not reduce joint pain or have an impact on narrowing of joint space. Health authorities and health insurers should not cover the costs of these preparations, and new prescriptions to patients who have not received treatment should be discouraged.

For the full article go to http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c4675.long
  • I have been using Glucosamine for a couple of years on the advice of friends. I haven't ever had any particular joint pain, but I couldn't be sure that had I never taken any supplements the same thing wouldnt be true..
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    ..and thats how the suppliers/retailers like it.