Home Chat General Chat

Bradford on avon standard dist tri

Hi,

Am a little concerned re what temp of the water to expect. Did a sea swim recently and found it very cold 10 degrees.

With the above event only a month or so away I can't see the temperatures of the water rising much, does anyone know what temperature to expect.

I've done a lot of pool based training but really struggled and had to swim breast stroke with my head out of the water.

Would welcome any good news as beginning to worry slightly!

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    It will be a mandatory wetsuit swim if water temp below 18deg

If you don't have one suggest you contact organiser as they will invariably have a wetsuit hire concession

Suggest you need wetsuit with good buoyancy B70 Fusion is a good starter,
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom
  • Thanks for the response, I was wearing a wet suit at the time.

I just found it so cold on the face that it impacted my breathing.

Here's hoping the rivers are warmer otherwise i'm in trouble
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    If the water temp is below 11 degrees then the swim will be cancelled.

The minimum temperature for a 1500m open water swim is 12.5 degrees so any temperature between 11 - 12.5deg the swim will be shortened accordingly.

For a 1500m OW swim wetsuits are mandatory below 14 degrees.

I think that by the time your race comes round the water temp should have risen enough for the swim to go ahead OK

I find it very helpful to get some early OW swims in when the water is a bit colder to get used to swimming in the cold.

Good Luck with your race.
  • midgstermidgster Posts: 6
    Couldn't tell you what the water temp will be, but in my experience, below 15c is shockingly cold and requires mental strength too (or hit the breast stroke). 15-17c, water is flipping cold but you get used to it. 18c and above and it's like swimming in the bath....sort of!

It's amazing how much the water temp inrcreases during April and May though. My local lake is usually up around 15-17c by May depending on weather.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    As said above the water temp minimum is 11 to 12.5 deg for a swim to go ahead depending on distance I think - anything above 12 should be fine once you are in - but you hav eto go do some open water first to get used to the colder temperatures.

I did the Mallory Park Tri the other year, thik it was April time, and they cancelled the swim on the day due to been uder 11.5 degree and made it into a duathlon.

At this time of year open water does run the risk of been canclled due to temps but in a months time it should have warmed up sufficiently, hopefully about 14 plus degrees.
  • Cool thanks, lets hope that extra 4 degrees make it a lot warmer than it sounds!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Never mind the temperature..will there be enough water?
  • Great race did it last year and I am sure it was optional as it was quite warm then, but this year we have yet had the nice weather. Doing new forest olympic next week and thinking could be cold!!!
    Good luck
  • dmmooredmmoore Posts: 4
    It is a good race, well organised, nice guys. The river there is quite shallow so if the temp goes up it will warm quite quickly. When I did it a couple of years ago it was cold in April & water temp in single figures, by the time May came around on race day the wetsuit was optional, it had warmed up that quickly.
  • Thanks here's hoping for some global warming!