Home Chat General Chat

Event ettiquette

Hi

I'm a novice triathlete - although I'm ok with each of the disciplines individually and have had some training, I've not yet put it all toghether in race conditions

My goal is a Sprint distance race at the Seaford Tri in August which involves - for me the biggest challenge - a 750m open water sea swim.

So, I'd like to do a shorter Triathlon event with open water / wet suit to get some 'match practice'

I've come across 'Fun' distance events but due to fitting in dates and getting ther with my other commitments - would have more choice of Super Srint events - plus the distances are a little bit longer

As I would expect to be a bit of a plodder compared to the main Super Sprinter racers - I wont be bursting for a great time, just looking to get the feel of things and practice transitioning - I wondered whether that would be considered bad form - essentially using a race event to build up a bit of experience

So I supose I'm asking is a Super Sprint a good event for a first timer to get the measure of a full race event or would people recommend doing the 'fun' event first?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or tips

Comments

• jcs356jcs356 Posts: 37
    Nah, I don't consider it bad form entering a supersprint as a trial or a warm-up. I did it in my first year in triathlon building up to the London Tri.

Just stay towards the back of the swim wave so you're not interfering with anyone taking it really seriously.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Super Sprint is fine; apart from the endurance aspect a major thing to crack is transition so get practicing at home, it is easier to pick up 30 sec in transition than on a run

Good luck
  • wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 34
    Likwise, I used one of the Eton sprint series for my first open water race. I stayed at the back at the start, and just raced by own race.

I also found attending specific open water swimming training really useful, as they incorporated basic race craft (starts, drafting, turning round buoys etc) into the sessions as well as simple swim technique and fitness.
  • wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 34
    Likwise, I used one of the Eton sprint series for my first open water race. I stayed at the back at the start, and just raced by own race.

I also found attending specific open water swimming training really useful, as they incorporated basic race craft (starts, drafting, turning round buoys etc) into the sessions as well as simple swim technique and fitness.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    An event,is an event,is an event,and practice,is practice,is practice.
    If you want to practice for a specific event,then enter a likewise event,getting changed after a short swim,is going to be easier than trying to struggle out of a wetsuit,when you are fatigued.
    Races tend to provide a blinkered view as when you race you get tunnel vision,each transition is different.
    Although race practice is good,
    Get hold of the map of the course you are doing and look closely at it.
    What is the distance from swim exit to T1....will it be faster to remove wetsuit on exit from water,making running easier,if it is some distance,or better to waddle a short distance in the wetsuit.
    That knowledge should save you more time than doing a practice race.A super sprint may have T1 at the waters edge,but the tri you want to do the layout is different,would you be practicing for something you aren't doing??
    Personally,standing here on my own,Billy no mates,I would just choose the cheapest open water tri,trying to get one that is closest to your race distance.

If you are set on the Eton tri,then do it,if anybody criticises,or hassles you,since you have paid,you have an equal right to compete with all the others so,tell em to wind their neck in,,and get them DQ'd,by reporting them.Go and enjoy yourself
  • Human Race do a novice distance (200m/5K/2.5K) in September in Eton. Its a nice starting distance if you've never done one before and gets you some practice at tranistions as well. I've done 3 at this distance as don't have much time to train and find it really enjoyable.