Home Chat General Chat

Bottle cages

A couple of months ago I got my first TT bike, a cannondale slice and am using the bottle cage mount that comes off the back of the seatpost.

With the bottle cages attached, the mount angles these back away from the saddle by maybe 30 degrees.

I'm guessing this is so that the bottles don't jump straight up out of the cages on a bump.

However, the cages I'm using still seem to be useless at holding onto the bottles. If there's any sort of lumps in the road on a descent, they jump straight out - even using the smaller 500ml bottles compared to the 750ml - and this is even when the bottles aren't full.

Can anyone recommend a descent bottle cage for a seatpost mount?

I don't want to spend £30 on a bottle cage and there's a few about for around £10 of just as light plastic material as the fancy carbon ones. I know the plastic ones will loosen up quicker over time and need to be replaced more frequently. Any ideas?

Rich

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Similar problem,but managed to solve by using cheap alu cages and pushing the bar in so it grips tighter,you need to remember to re do it after each race as removing the bottle copious times makes the grip loose,and the bottle will fire off
    I actually think the inconvieniance is balanced out by the distance the bottle flies,but that is the cheapest,think there is a thread regarding this problem,which produced a number of solutions,might be worth a quick search.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Get an XLab

I've had no problems with ejections at all. Great bit of kit
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I was about to order an X lab until I re-read the post

I've had no problems with ejections at all
    Back to the creams and pills
  • willieverfinish - which Xlab holder are you using?

I'm also looking for a bottle cage solution.

From what I read it seems the bottles that sit between the tri bars are prone to covering you in sports drink or taking your eye out with the straw, whereas the seat monuted affairs eject bottles.

Any thoughts on the best solution?
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I use an Xlab turbo wing

http://www.xlab-usa.com/turbo-wing.html

Ive never had an ejection. works well.

If you want a bar mounted set up get a speedfil A2 - they are genius

http://lavamagazine.com/gear/first-look-speedfil-a2-aero-water-bottle/#axzz1ulkihIoA