Home Chat General Chat

Calves

Hi, When i run straight off the bike in training sessions,after 5 mins my calves go rock hard and feel like stone.I 'm new to the sport and trying to build up to my first Tri, is this just a normal thing or am i running to quick/slow? Any Advice would be most welcome, Thanks

Comments

• sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Calf guards - they're awesome - get hold of a pair and see what a difference they make.
    I use Compressport (other brands are available ) and tbh wouldn't wear anything else - they're over a year old and the compression's like new.
  • I'll second the compressport. I'm changing my running style to the barefoot running way because I'm a massive heel striker which caused issues. My calves would get ridiculously tight with the mid and forefoot striking to the point where I'd be hobbled the next day. With the compressport calf guards though I can walk around as normal. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and they're miles better than anything else I've used
  • jh_1972jh_1972 Posts: 1
    When you're getting close to the run, maybe last few hundred meters, try dropping into a low gear and spinning your wheels, this should help clear out a bit of lactic

cheers
  • BaldiloxBaldilox Posts: 11
    Calf guards are all well and good for reducing pain while running, but your calves are getting tight for a reason. I would suggest, as you are just starting to embark on triathlon running/training, that you would be best use the calf compression money on an assessment of your gait (running) pattern focusing on foot strike, muscle length of calves and soleus muscles (the smaller muscle under the calf nearer to the achilles). You will probably find this more beneficial than using compression to mask the problem.

Hope this helps

Huw