Home Chat General Chat

Why do you tri?

Everyone has different reasons for getting into the sport and everyone has different reasons for keeping it going - so why do you do it? And what makes you keep doing it?

Comments

• SuperSonicSuperSonic Posts: 18
    Couple of reasons I suppose:

1. When I first heard of triathlons, I thought it sounded really cool
    2. I get bored just doing one thing all the time and like the change
    3. I can't do any one thing well - so triathlon hides that fact a little
    4. I get to buy more kit as I need stuff for three disciplines
  • MiffyMiffy Posts: 6
    Mid life crisis!
  • I agree with the mid life crisis post!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I started triathlon to get fit and quit smoking - I carry on tri because its as addictive as cigs and keeps my fitness levels up - mainly though I love it and the competition with myself about getting faster each race.

great fitness great competition.
  • Big TonyBig Tony Posts: 16
    Mid life crisis
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Did my first on a whim, OSB were advertising their 1st Lincoln sprint tri at our gym. Thought before this all triathlons were Ironman distance. Was rubbish but following year decided to enter again, found there was a series so entered that series and also a couple of others, became hooked ... rest is history.

Why do I continue?
    Getting older, getting faster so big confidence boost.
    I like researching and finding out what is faster and why - simply boys toys
    It is all inclusive, athletic, honed young ninjas and then tubs like me.
    My motto is 'I intend to continue to keep competing until I get to an age group where the competition has died off'
    I have made some good chums, both locally in my own tri club and online and it is great to meet them on events.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I started triathlon 25 years ago, I started running during the running boom, did all the races up to marathon's then wanted a new challenge, a "new" sport had come along, Triathlon, I had a go and was hooked.

Why do I continue?
    Love the training, love the cameraderie, love the buzz of racing and love the success at Age Group racing home and abroad.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Saw a Tri on tv in 1982,thought that looked good, dabbled in the mid 80's, left it for a bit, to go and do other endurance sports, came back to it in the nineties, and have messed it up ever since. Why do I do it, it is enjoyable, keeps me resonable fit, apart from the injuries, it complements my working life, so a balance is kept ( I will not write a six paragraph reason for this,but I could, not that anyone would read it )
    I still bump into the occassional person that I raced against in the early years,If there is a downside to racing today,it is the lack of interaction with the pro/elite competitors,as they are segregated more in the races
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    jon.E wrote:

I still bump into the occassional person that I raced against in the early years,If there is a downside to racing today,it is the lack of interaction with the pro/elite competitors,as they are segregated more in the races
    Although having said that I had a nice chat with Kristin Moller in Transition at IMWales..... Didn't understand a word mind, but she seemed very nice!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    sonofsammo wrote:
    [quote="jon.E":29s0y2dk]
    Although having said that I had a nice chat with Kristin Moller in Transition at IMWales..... Didn't understand a word mind, but she seemed very nice![/quote:29s0y2dk]
    My apologises,I should have been slightly more specific in that there are fewer races today where you actually start at the same time as the pro's/elites,rather than wave starts,or the pro's getting a 50m head start.I'm Bad.sorry.
    Did Kristin recognise you first??
  • XpiderXpider Posts: 22
    to be called a Triathlete
    jon.E wrote:

Did Kristin recognise you first??
    You'd think, wouldn't you?
  • ThiRunnerThiRunner Posts: 3
    (1) I like to train, and I like feeling fit.

(2) I like the whole ethos of triathlon and the fact that most triathletes (age groupers like me) are a friendly bunch of people who love to talk triathlon and impart whatever knowledge they have to aid other "tri-ers."

(3) I like that each race I do I get stuck in and try to do better than I did last time.
    I don't tend to race other people because I did that as a baby in the competitive swimming arena where the pressure was immense.
    Now there is no pressure only the will to try and push my body to the limit and see where it will take me.

(4) And like everyone else the fact that there are three different sports makes racing all the more interesting!!!

(5) I love the endorphin rush.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I like wearing tight fitting clothing
  • by willieverfinish » 19 May 2012 21:36

I like wearing tight fitting clothing
  • wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 34
    I got involved on the back of friend doing the London marathon a few years ago, I can't remember feeling so much pride for something a friend had achieved. At the time I thougtht that a marathon was beyond me, but he'd often spoken about triathlon. Something I thought I could do.

My first triathlon was Crystal Palace (sprint), and I was just chuffed to have completed it.

I'm never going to compete for a podium, so it is about the time and beating my own targets. So I guess it the sense of achievement, and knowing that I've given it everything that i really enjoy.

Though to be honest, hearing my 2 year old scream "Come on daddy" as I run past is a reason enough to keep on going.
  • canadacanada Posts: 14
    i let you know after i done me 1st one this sunday :roll::roll::roll::roll:
  • louise Olouise O Posts: 1
    my best friend brought me in
    and he is the reason which keeps me motivated
  • samwookiesamwookie Posts: 28
    1 - a mate went on about it for ages.

2 - standard training for general fitness wasnt working anymore

3 - the challenge. i thought a sprint was alot. one year on im heading to wimbleball + henley half

4 - it focuses your time, stops you from partying to hard or at all

5 - respect. people resect me for taking the challenge on, refusing drinks etc and parties, becuase racing is a priority

dont know why anyone wouldnt want to do this!
  • canadacanada Posts: 14
    badboy wrote:
    i let you know after i done me 1st one this sunday :roll::roll::roll::roll:
    well after doing me 1st tri the other week the reason are

1-training with so many friends.
    2-the sportman ship between everyone.so friendly
    3-doing for my self,and not worrying about everyone else,coming from a football back ground.
    4-the lyrca
  • MattFittMattFitt Posts: 4
    I think that most people would answer that they take part in a triathlon because they want to see how far they could go on each of the components but for me, it is all about staying fit and being able to measure how I am as an athlete.

It is tough and there are a lot of people who find it quite hard to be at terms with how they are going to do the whole thing but still go out with it anyway.
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i tri because:
    - i have masochistic tendencies that desperately need an outlet
    - i am filthy rich and have loads of cash to spend on equipment that neither my number of races or level of fitness justify
    - i do not like my friends and family and i hate spending time with them
    - i do not like sleeping for 8 full hours
    - i do not enjoy cultural pursuits, hobbies and relaxation time
    - however i find reading reviews on anything carbon extremely thought provoking and helping my inner growth as a human being
    - i am under the delusion i look good in lycra
    - i like it when my coach calls me an 'athlete'!!

...on a more serious note, i tri because it scares the living daylights out of me and makes me face my deepest weaknesses and fears (and hopefully along the way conquer some of them)
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Too broken to run, so thought multisport might be a bet less damaging*

And I felt that I ought to learn to swim.

*I was wrong.
  • AKAK Posts: 27
    Not sure I can actually claim tri'ing just yet (1st event 4 August), but reasons are two:

1. Signed up to London Tri 2012 as tribute to my wife's mum who passed away not so long ago. Actually coming from basketball background (a bit ashamed to admit, but in January I could only swim about 2-3 pool lengths at a time. Thankfully those days are long gone now)
    2. Caught the bug almost immediately, and so looks like the sport is here to stay way beyond the event in September

Oh yes - and there's also the gadgets..

• Ga3Ga3 Posts: 14
    Someone who I worked with did triathlons, being a good runner when i was younger I thought I'll give this a go. I bought his training bike off him, that was 4 or 5 years ago, the rest they say is history.

This weekend will be my first Ironman at Bolton
    Ga3 wrote:
    Someone who I worked with did triathlons, being a good runner when i was younger I thought I'll give this a go. I bought his training bike off him, that was 4 or 5 years ago, the rest they say is history.

This weekend will be my first Ironman at Bolton
    How did you get on?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 52
    There are many reasons,
    To boost my self-confidence and feel good myself.
    To prove something to other peoples.
    For emotional irrational wants and fears.