Home Chat General Chat

Jellyfish!!

Hey, should I be concerned when seeing jellyfish during my open water swims? Usually I just keep on going, but after hearing some stories it's got me a bit worried!

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Plough on through them

What's your main concern ? Being stung ?

These are UK jellyfish aren't they ?

I wouldn't worry.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    It is highly unlikely that you will encounter a poisonous jellyfish in UK waters, if you get stung it is similar to a nettle sting, or a very slight electric shock, chances are that you will not realise that you have been stung, the only areas likely to be stung are the exposed ones not covered by the wetsuit, and these areas are quite resilient anyway.

If you get stung, ice the area, and take some anti histamene tablets, if the area remains red, stays swollen etc for a longish time go and see a Doc.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    That's a proper answer from a multisport expert

My MTFU answer was maybe a tad unhelpful
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Alternatively, carry a bottle of vinegar in the car and douse the area stung. Lifeguards on our beaches back home used to do that to help people.

"A study published in The Medical Journal of Australia showed that removing any tentacles left by a jellyfish, then dousing an injured body part with commercial vinegar or its crucial ingredient, acetic acid, could alleviate pain and “rapidly and completely” prevent the release of more venom."

So Im assuming its the low pH, so perhaps evens some lemon juice would do the trick.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Jellyfish, hundreds of them at the Long Course swim in Tenby last year. Big buggers down below, and lots of little pesky ones on the surface. Got stung across the face, stung a bit, but with another 30 minutes in cold salty water, it didn't sting too much. Not much else you could do though but swim through them
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Jellies! Ahhhh!
  • I am not sure if it is available in the UK but here in Norway they sell a sunscreen which is made by Suncare and is also meant to protect against jellyfish stings. It also claims to be extra waterresistant - and i suppose this is pretty important too there are different strengths available as per normal with sun cream - look at www.ac-suncare.no - i have just checked and unfortunately most of the site is only in Norwegian but the on-line shop is also in English: http://suncare.no/shop/index.php/langua ... g1fknj5js3

I have no links to the company but i do use the product (haven't been stung yet while using it but then i haven't been stung for many years anyway...). Happy swimming!