Home Chat General Chat

ITU Age-Group Qualification

Yeeeesssss! Q1, Big Cow - get in there, Auckland here I come.

I know, I know, 'it's only Age-Group' but I'm pretty stoked. I've been working hard for this, I've just checked the BTF website and there's a 'Q1' next to my name - Little old me has qualified for the ITU Age-Group World Championships in Auckland later this year. Yep, I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself at the moment.

Click here for my full ITU Age-Group World Championship Qualification story. You never know, it might give you some ideas and you too could be coming to Auckland.

Al.

Comments

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Well done Al. Great to see you're so enthusiastic! Auckland is way too far for me unfortunately but going to have a crack at London next year (along with the entire triathlon population of the UK, I suspect
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    'Only' Age Group? Well done that man, you get to wear Team GB gear - respect
  • charliec45charliec45 Posts: 4
    Auckland is indeed a VERY long way - I'm not saying qualifying wasn't difficult, but raising the funds to get there and compete may be even more of a struggle.

Still, should be a trip of a lifetime and getting to wear the Team GB kit will be good.

Al.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    well done Al, great effort.

Have you booked accomadation yet?

You might find that harder than qualifying.

I booked flights and accomadation last december and most of the descent looking hotels were block booked.

Good luck
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Great effort - Qualifying to compete for your country is a massive achievement and you deserve to be proud and happy. I know some poeple knock the system but hey you have to be in it to qualify and qualifying times don't come eays.

Lets hope you can raise teh cash to get over there ... any ideas on how much its going to cost ?
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

Lets hope you can raise teh cash to get over there ... any ideas on how much its going to cost ?
    Flights for 2 £2000
    12 nights accomodation £700
    Race entry fee £250
  • Those costs aren't far off, except there will probably 2.5 of us as we can't really leave a 7 yr. old at home alone. Unfortunately his flight and accommodation isn't half the price though so we'll be looking at closer to £4k for flights and accommodation.

Race entry fee is £280, but I'll also need special insurance in order to travel & race and of course some Team GB kit, and I may even treat myself to a 'pointy hat' so that I look the part!

Also, as we rarely have foreign holidays if we're travelling that far we might want to extend the trip if we can which will obviously add to the price as well. Not cheap but a good enough excuse to blow my pension savings on a trip to New Zealand!

Al.