Home Chat General Chat

All round running shoe

Hi,

I currently run in Brooks Vapour 9's which have probably had their day. I currently run in the region of 40k/week on road (20%), track (50%) and trail (30%).

The majority of the triathlons I have entered are in the New Forest (Hampshire) so I'm looking for a shoe which is going to suit me for these types of races (track/trail) but also suit a small bit of road running.

Or am I asking too much? Should I be looking for a shoe just for racing and a different shoe for training?

Cheers all

Matt

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Hmmmmmmmmm

I personally think shoes are a) very personal and b) different shoes for different surfaces etc

Brooks Glycerine ?

What type of runner are you ?
  • SuperSonicSuperSonic Posts: 18
    I only use one shoe - but I do mainly sprint distances (so not too many miles) and on road.

I use Asics DS Trainers as they have enough support but are also light and fast enough for me - but I'm not sure I'd recommend them for your needs.
  • mattyc24mattyc24 Posts: 5
    willieverfinish wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmm

I personally think shoes are a) very personal and b) different shoes for different surfaces etc

Brooks Glycerine ?

What type of runner are you ?
    I over-pronate but mainly on the left side and I'm a mid-foot striker.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    I adore my K swiss Blade Max - not a trail running shoe at all, but like a slipper.
    I love running in them and have set a while raft of pb's this year since getting them.
    I run on canal tow paths / grass trails and roads.
    Did Swashbuckler in them in the New Forest and they were perfect for the trails there at Bucklers Hard...
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    I use Saucony Triumph which is a "neutral shoe". Saucony have reduced the heel drop from 8mm to 12 mm on 3 of their most popular shoes this year (heel drop being the difference between the midsole at the heel and under the forefoot). It makes the trainers lighter and allows for a easier change in foot strike pattern (i.e. forefoot, midfoot, heel strike). I get on well with them and use them for trails if it's dry if not I use my Asics CX shoes. I think they'd make a decent racing shoe as well if you changed the laces.

As far as I'm aware off road shoes don't cater for over-pronators/supinators etc due to the nature of the terrain.

My advice would be 2 types of trainers one for road/track and another for trail/XC. As stated previously personal comfort is a very important factor with trainers.

Some good deals on trail shoes here which is where I got mine http://www.startfitness.co.uk/prodtype. ... Position=1
  • mattyc24mattyc24 Posts: 5
    Thank you all for your replies - some very helpful information.

Still not sure what I'm going to go for although the K-Swiss looks good - are they good for no sock running?

As a couple of you have said running shoes are a very personal thing so I will make sure that I visit a shop rather than just purchase online.

Thank you.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 52
    there are many sites from where u can get your shoes,but it is difficult to get both running in forest and on road in one type.