Home Chat General Chat

Race day punctures

Probably a silly question, but here goes anyway... Whats the best things to carry on race day? When I'm training I carry a small ruck sack with everything in I need to survive, spare tubes, pump etc but am unsure of what to carry during a race. Obviously I don't want to carry a ruck sack so thought about a small saddle bag with pump strapped to tube but from looking through magazines, watching and DVD's I dont seem to see many others even doing this.

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Ditch the pump and get a CO2 canister, very light and extremely fast! Aside from that I have a small saddle bag which i keep a small combi tool, a CO2 and my spare tube in there. If i was in any danger of winning a race, I would ditch the kit and risk it, maybe stuff a CO2 and tube in my race suit befor i leap on my stead! [;)]
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Get some punture resistant tyres or something with a kevlar.I use Hutchinson and continental on both my bikes.It might save you some space in your rucksack
  • I didn't know that people carried such things during a race? Do most people do that? I haven't planned on it, but I am still training for my first triathlon.
  • I have pretty much the same as wobbly rider - a small bag under the saddle with a CO2 canister, spare tyre, a couple of those plastic flat pen things to get tryes off rims, a bike allen key and a chain tool. The last one is probably overkill, but I got a broken chain at the end of the London triathlon last year so I'm a bit paranoid. The spare tyre is definitely worth having. Several people get punctures in every race and you really feel for them as you see them by the side of the road - imagine how bad it would be to train for months, spend £70 or so entering a race, blast your way through the swim and then have to pull out because of a poxy puncture. With a spare tyre and CO2 canister it only takes about 3-4 mins to change a puncture, which still leaves you able to get a reasonable time. You can get the bag and kit at any shop. It does weigh a bit and I can understand why elite racers or people who are going all out for personal bests wouldn't bother, but I think it's worth it for most of us. The puncture resistant tyres (gel reseals any holes immediately?) may do the trick but I've no idea how effective/expensive/reliable they are - any views welcome.

• mark26mark26 Posts: 10
    I normally carry 2 x tubes, tyre levers & puncture kit in a small bag fitted under the seat. The pump is a small compact type fitted alongside the water bottle fitting. I did the New Forest middle distance last year & was gratefull that I carried the 2 spare tubes.

P.S. Also a quick prayer to the puncture fairy before the race often helps as well.
  • mark26mark26 Posts: 10
    The puncture resistant tyre/tubes are about £40.00 for one.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    If you use tubs rather than clinchers you can still ride a certain distance with a puncture before something!!! happens,but whatever system you use make sure it is attached securely if you go to any long distance race you could open a bike shop with the amount of equipment that falls off competitors bikes in the first 10 miles,chances are that if you have forgotten something you will be able to pick it up off the road.If you do not want to use a bag you could always convert a water bottle to carry your spares or go all out and by an X-Lab bottle holder which has various add ons for spares and a picnic basket.Puncture sealant is not really a viable option for a race tyre.
  • DavidC212DavidC212 Posts: 12
    Hi,

Apologies for adding to this thread but thought it is a similar question. If you have a puncture a couple of miles out from T2 could you just ride on or run with the bike back in to transition?

David
  • David

There's nothing in the rules to stop you from running in (I did it when my chain broke a few hundred metres out of T2 last year) but it will knacker you badly for the run phase, particularly if you have hard cycling shoes on and hence need to run barefoot. There's probably a point beyond which you're better dropping out - 1.5km?