Home Chat General Chat

Am i doing it all wrong?

I am starting training up for triathlons but am a bit confused that when I'm out on a run i am comfortably working at 85% pulse range (well comfortably might not be the right word but i can get there) but when out on the bike i never seem to get up past 65% area no matter what i do.

some details
32yr old male, fairly fit, no medication or heart problems.
run regularly but new to road riding but have cycled for years (casually)

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Put your bike in a bigger gear and push harder.

What cadence are you riding at ? ( RPM)

What type of bike have you got ?

Double or a tripple ?

What average speeds are you finding your riding ?

Simple solution - aim to ride in a bigger gear, faster for longer.
  • PT_LondonPT_London Posts: 4
    Does it it feel as hard when your cycling? When your not use to doing a particular sport you may not be able to hold as high an intensity for as long as your normal sport. After a few work outs you should be ablle to get your HR up once youve been doing it for a while.

www.slimmerfitterstronger.com/blog
  • peppy40peppy40 Posts: 2
    I'm using a cannondale Synapse with a double ring. spend most of my time in the biggest cog. average about 15mph but have no idea on rpm.

thanks for the advice.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Big ring ok

What about on the rear cassette

Push a bigger gear buddy - find some hills too
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Jamhux,

Expect your bike max heart rate to be about 10bpm lower than that for your run because running requires your leg muscles to support your weight and provide propulsion whereas cycling is non-weight bearing and your legs only need to provide propulsion. Expect swim max HR to be about 10bpm lower than that for your cycling. The above is of course an error filled gross simplification but will suffice for now.

Heart rate is a response to how much muscular work you are doing. Simple.

With your good history of running & a poor one for cycling a wider heart rate gap would be expected. As you start to get really bike fit expect the gap to narrow but never close.

Its not about the bike!

Hope this helps

HarryD