Home Chat General Chat

Sweat in eyes

How do people stop sweat going in eyes when riding?

I wear cycling glasses on all my rides. At speed there's no problem, sweat dries quickly. When I slow down though (normally for a hill or traffic lights) sweat drips in my eyes and the stinging is so bad I have to stop and wipe them - which is very annoying on a steep incline!

I don't suffer when not wearing glasses, but then every flying insect thinks 'wahey!' and makes a bee-line (excuse the pun) for my eye-balls.

Does anyone else suffer with this? Anyone got a solution?

Cheers.

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    A vet TTer told me he runs a line of Vaseline just above the eyeline to stop sweat running into his eyes. I wear prescription Dirty Dog shades which have good ventilation so no probs for me.

Off on a tangent watched the London tri on the box and surprised by the number of pros riding without shades, must be barking mad, one stone chip in the eye and blinded, just a thought.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I would suggest taking your shades off on a slow / steep climb - this will allow for better evaporation.
  • i wear a sweatband under my helmet, if you put it in your helmet at transition it only takes a second to put on ... its not your towel like material mister motivator would wear but dri-fit, bought from a bike specific onlinle retailer ... so another accessory.

I now find it a necessity in the summer after a brick session back in april, when so much sweat ran into my eyes on the bike that the whites of my eyes went blood red ... i dropped off the bike and went for the run , wondering why i was getting so many looks of dog walkers and walkers in general, my general thought being ' i feel good surely i cant look like i'm about to keel over' ... it wasn't until i got in and looked in the mirror in the hallway that i realised i looked like chucky or damien!!
  • i wear a sweatband under my helmet, if you put it in your helmet at transition it only takes a second to put on ... its not your towel like material mister motivator would wear but dri-fit, bought from a bike specific onlinle retailer ... so another accessory.

I now find it a necessity in the summer after a brick session back in april, when so much sweat ran into my eyes on the bike that the whites of my eyes went blood red ... i dropped off the bike and went for the run , wondering why i was getting so many looks of dog walkers and walkers in general, my general thought being ' i feel good surely i cant look like i'm about to keel over' ... it wasn't until i got in and looked in the mirror in the hallway that i realised i looked like chucky or damien!!
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I wear a bandana under my helmet......it then doubles as sun protection on the run.
    Works really well and I look bad ass on the run!

Without it I simply cannot cycle.
  • vasaline or bandana is the way to go I would say and take onboard the advice about up steep slow climbs take glasses off.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    A bandana when cycling and i always wear a peak cap when running in warm or hot conditions as the peak wicks away the sweat,because i used to suffer with this problem
  • jrahmjrahm Posts: 1
    Over the years I have personally tried pretty much every product intended to this end, and anything is better than nothing, even a plain cotton bandana. Some however will mark you for hours after your ride (Gutr and Halo with silicon strip). Headband and do-rag type things are designed to wick but are not designed to absorb. They do not solve the problem, they simply delay it. Many are ugly to boot.
    SweatHawg is the only product that combines both aggressively wicking and absorbing fabrics. Works better than anything else once you clear the small initial hurdle of putting it in your helmet rather than on your head. SweatHawg is also concealed during use, under your helmet, so there is no aesthetic compromise to your appearance. www.sweathawg.com

good luck
    John
  • HodgeHodge Posts: 9
    I wear a cap under my helmet, then leave it on for the run.Not perfect, but as good a solution as ive found.