Home Chat General Chat

Limited time on the bike

Does anyone have any tips on hows best to improve strength on the bike, with limited time to train, for example I'm unable to get out on 2-3 hour rides due to work and family duties. However I can get out for up to an hour a day....what do you suggest

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Strength ?

Simple

Find a hill
    Get in the big ring
    Ride up it as fast as you can
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As above

Big ring work
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    Make that hour count. As said before build strength. If you've got decent hills you've got a good training venue.

2009 was my golden year in Tri. My moring cycle to work was my only cycle training (10 flat miles each way). I now do TTs, my commute is 40 miles, Ive got deep rim wheels, disc wheel but nowhere near my 2009 times

You can do a lot with an hour (ironman different matter though)
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    couple of books
    The time crunched cyclist, or the Time crunched triathlete by Chris Carmichael, may give you structured short workouts.

When you cycle train smart, no matter what the time, 30 mins, 45 mins, make it structured with definate goal aims, such as maintaining a speed for a specific distance or time, maintaining your HR at a particular level for a specific time.

An easy game to play is to pick a specific gear for a ride, every time you change gear you lose a point, the idea being that you aim to get a faster time with the least amount of points lost, it keeps the mind active,as well.

If you are really short of time, and want good results then train with a specifity for that event, similar distance,similar terrain.
  • SuperSonicSuperSonic Posts: 18
    jon.E wrote:
    An easy game to play is to pick a specific gear for a ride
    I used to ride a single speed bike and that was good for building fitness and strength, but you can do the same with a geared bike. Just put it in one gear and leave it there for your ride. It will improve your cadence on the flat and downhill, and your strength going up the hills.

Only way up a hill in a big gear is with maximum aggression and speed, if you loose momentum then you will really struggle - great for training.
  • Thanks People,

Big chain-ring and hills it is then, but should I alternate this with something else, say one morning hard, the next just spin...for example, or just train every other morning (obviously I'm incorporating the other disciplines in my lunch hours/after work etc)
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    whatever you get best benefits from, so keep a training diary, look at speed,distance, and recovery, as you get tired your form will drop,poor form can lead to injury, and improvements come from incorporating rest into the training plan, if you did continuous big ring drill work, that is all you would get good at, trial and error, and what fits in best with work/family.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 52
    I used to journey a single rate bicycle and that was good for developing health,fitness and durability, but you can do the same with a designed bicycle. Just put it in one equipment and keep it there for your journey. It will enhance your pedal rotation on the smooth and down, and your durability going up the mountains.
  • And in English what does all that mean ?

What is a designed bicycle ?
    It will enhance your pedal rotation on the smooth and down,
    What the smooth and down ?

No - not a spam bot at all.

Good grief.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    willieverfinish wrote:
    And in English what does all that mean ?

What the smooth and down ?

No - not a spam bot at all.

Good grief.
    The most bizarre bot ever, if it was....? Seems to have gone now anyway.
    They were quite entertaining really
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    willieverfinish wrote:
    And in English what does all that mean ?

dustinscott wrote:
    I used to journey a single rate bicycle and that was good for developing health,fitness and durability, but you can do the same with a designed bicycle. Just put it in one equipment and keep it there for your journey. It will enhance your pedal rotation on the smooth and down, and your durability going up the mountains.
    I think he means this
    SuperSonic wrote:
    I used to ride a single speed bike and that was good for building fitness and strength, but you can do the same with a geared bike. Just put it in one gear and leave it there for your ride. It will improve your cadence on the flat and downhill, and your strength going up the hills.
    TF he's gone.