Home Chat General Chat

run training tips

hi all,
just wondering if anyones got any training tips for keeping heart rate down while running, other than going slower!!!
i'm not the best of runners or lightest of people, but when i start running my heart rate goes straight up to about 157 to 160 which is my 85%
I find it very hard to keep it down and soon and sweating buckets

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi

I don't know you and how long you have been training, so i'll assume your completely new! You are completely right though on the slowing down... To begin with, you will need to be (practically) walking to get into the right zones. You'll feel rediculous, but stick with it as it will help build a strong muscle (your heart!) and will help keep you injury free - as your body will also need to adapt to training i.e. too much too soon will cause injuries (10% increase in training rule!).

Also, are you sure that you have your heart rate zones calculated properly? Read the following and hopefully this will help you determine your proper heart rate zones:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

Keep testing your heart rate zones every 6-8 weeks as they will change as you get fitter.

Hope this helps.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Firetri

Give us a clue to your running history. How much & for how long?

When you run how hard is your breathing? Speaking out loud how long a sentence can you get out before you need to breathe/gasp? Without struggling? How many sylables?

Being heavy & having poor running technique should push up heart rate for any given pace. Max heart rate is personal so dont take 220-age as a law of the universe.

Sweating buckets can be a good sign as one training adaption is the ability to sweat quicker and more to keep the body core cool.

Yours

HarryD
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    only been running three years now, for tri's.
    I would say i excessively sweat when running, proper overheating. fastest 5k is (only) 22mins, fastest 10k is 51, and half marathon was 2hours,
    I am 6ft 3 and weigh 14.5 to 15 stone
    Probably only do 2-3 runs a week
    Firetri

Looking at your race times. If you have good endurance then a 22min 5k would indicate a 46min 10k & a 1:43 half marathon. You may be lacking endurance which takes us back to the previous questions:

When you run how hard is your breathing? Speaking out loud how long a sentence can you get out before you need to breathe/gasp? Without struggling? How many sylables?

We need to know how hard you are actually running and without an accurate HR test we need to look at how hard you are breathing instead. If you are running too hard all the time then you will not develop endurance. Apart from the breathing how long are your runs because 2 or 3 correct runs per week combined with other tri training should be enough.

Your weight seems quite high for a runner. Weight will slow you down. Lots of muscle and fat will slow heat loss quite possibly causing high sweat levels. Not knowing your body composition (i.e. % body fat) it is hard to comment but based on BMI you could loose up to 18kg of body weight while staying within the healthy range. If you go down this route be careful & monitor body weight against performance as excesive weight loss will cause a drop in performance. Weight loss must be gradual 0.25 to 0.5kg per week max.

Yours

H
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    i do breathe quite hard, try to time it to foot fall,
    can usually manage to talk half a dozen words at the start then struggle later probably 2 words or so, pitiful i know
    i average about 7mph for running when heart rate is at 157 average thats just recently weather was hot and humid so would have had an affect.
    yes i know i need to lose weight lol its just hard!!!!
    Firetri

We are now at the point where we know where to start. You are simply working too hard at your runs. Most of your runs should be at conversational pace, i.e. you can hold a meaningful conversation whith someone else. Sentences should be about as long as the first one in this posting but not much longer. Let your breathing happen naturally rather than tie it to any particular footstrike and for the time being ignore your heart rate as a training target.

Training at this intensity will:
    Increase fat utilisation at a given pace - what did you say about weight loss?
    Increase glycogen storage - essential for endurance sports like tri
    Increased capiliary density - more oxygenated blood & nutrients to the muscles will make you a better runner
    Training harder will not

For the next four to six weeks simply run at conversational pace and note what your heart rate was. After this period simply train within the range that your heart rate has been working and keep to this range. As you get fitter you will need to run faster/harder to maintain your new heart rate range and you will find it gets progressively harder. As your fitness build you will realise this is not an easy option. This way of training will maximise your endurance base and make you a much faster runner. Max this out before thinking of intervals etc to move up to the next level.

Hope this helps

HarryD
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 52
    One strategy is pacing and respiration management.You're pulse amount is easy to synch up with your respiration amount and your speed with a little bit of exercise.Its type of a variety of leisure methods along with planned respiration. You'll need to go with your attempt stage so you're not challenging more energy/oxygen from your body than the pulse amount you're trying to sustain can offer so this doesn't work with strolling.just with awesome stable steps.
  • One strategy is pacing and respiration management.You're pulse amount is easy to synch up with your respiration amount and your speed with a little bit of exercise.Its type of a variety of leisure methods along with planned respiration. You'll need to go with your attempt stage so you're not challenging more energy/oxygen from your body than the pulse amount you're trying to sustain can offer so this doesn't work with strolling.just with awesome stable steps.
    What on earth are you on about ?

That's the most inane post I've ever read ....... Respiration management

Attempt stage - WTF is that !!

It's a Shame I gave up my admin rights or I'd delete all your posts & ban you,
  • I do run for my general body fitness and I have got training from my friend only. He is a runner and he told me some basic running tips that are good to run for longer distance and build up stamina. Keeping your head and neck straight is one good running tip.