Home Chat General Chat

GPS/ HRM watches

I'm planning to start heart rate based training from September and looking at the various options for a HRM and GPS watch for this. The basic functions that I want on it are;

- Bike and run watch
- Heart rate
- Ability to input heart rate zones
- Speed/ pace (for bike and run)
- Distance (for bike and run)
(Assuming these require GPS ability?)
- Timer
- Water proof

Can you guys recommend any with these functions?

I'm leaning towards one of the garmins - especially the Forerunner 910XT but I don't think I actually need this much functionality and once the novelty of such a fancy bit of kit had worn off would just seem like a waste of money. However, I can't tell if any of the lower down watches in their series such as the FR70 have enough functionality - mainly the ability to input the heart rate zones.

So, any ideas....?

Comments

• fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    i've got a polar top of the range (RS800cx) watch, has all independent speed sensors and a cadence sensor, so you can use on multiple bikes, it also has a separate gps unit for when running or on bike, not as convenient as the garmins all in ones, but works just aswel, has fully interactive software for downloading all workouts, and mapping.
    For sale lol
  • AKAK Posts: 27
    910XT does the job for me - just one gadget to manage for all sports.

If you used some ANT+ accessories before it should work with them too - before Mrs. Kfjatek bought me my 910XT as a graduation present, I'd used Wahoo Fitness dongle with my iPhone (a cheaper and pretty good solution too - unless you're after swim metrics, of course); all accessories like HRM or speed/cadence meter work with the 910XT no issues.

If you shop around you can buy it much cheaper than the recommended retail price of 390 quid - I bought it on Handtec for £250 or so.

• +1 for the 910xt

Fabulous bit of kit. Couldn't train without it now.
  • b3cftb3cft Posts: 1
    Up until recently I had the Garmin 405cx, which is great for cycling/running (with HRM), but I really wanted something for swimming as well.

I upgraded to the 910xt, I really wish now I'd gone straight for this. It is excellent.

You can have multiple bikes which I find useful, as well as a power meter if you have one.

I already had the HRM from the 405cx, and all the standard ANT+ foot pods etc work with all the Garmin ANT range.

I also found and purchase from here:
    www handtec co uk product.php/5747/garmin-forerunner-910xt--910

Which is about £100 cheaper than anywhere else I could find it!

Andy

Sorry, I'm a new user so can't post links, add the dots and / to the web address above
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Can I jump in on your post?!

I've got the 310XT with cadence and bike mount which I like for on the bike. Only hassle with the bike mount option is the strap makes it even bigger on your wrist.

Question is the 910 much smaller than the 310?

having serious thoughts about the 910 (310 is also a cracking bit of kit)
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Trisurfer wrote:
    Question is the 910 much smaller than the 310?
    Yes.
    One critical (-ish) comment I can think of: the bike mount for 910 is a bit fiddly.

The watch doesn't detach from the wrist strap (not sure if the 310 does), so the only way to mount it is essentially to wrap it around the bar and the little rubber mount that comes as an extra.

Works just fine for a bike workout, but not something you want to try doing while trying to find seconds in transition. So on race days it'll definitely have to stay on your wrist (if you were thinking otherwise).

• AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    kfjatek wrote:
    One critical (-ish) comment I can think of: the bike mount for 910 is a bit fiddly.

The watch doesn't detach from the wrist strap (not sure if the 310 does), so the only way to mount it is essentially to wrap it around the bar and the little rubber mount that comes as an extra.
    Unless you get the quick release kit then you just twist and go.........simples.

The 910XT is an awsome piece of kit. You'll never get bored of the multiple functions that are available, swim metrics, GPS tracking in open water, routes, etc, etc.........
    Atomic wrote:

Unless you get the quick release kit then you just twist and go.........simples.
    Good point - didn't realise there was one!

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    There is a problem with the Gramins and QR kit, if you Google you will see what I mean.

I can up with this solution for my 305
    http://forum.bcttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6765#p89560

By the way a 305 is a good bargain £105 http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/13 ... tAodkhgAlQ
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    Zacnici wrote:
    There is a problem with the Gramins and QR kit, if you Google you will see what I mean.

I can up with this solution for my 305
    http://forum.bcttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6765#p89560
    Shut down issues have now been fixed in the latest update.

Haven't had a shut down for ages now.