Home Chat General Chat

Running off bike - tips & tricks?

AKAK Posts: 27
As a beginner triathlete I've heard/read many times how funny the first few steps feel when you get off the bike and run out of T2, but the first time I did this in a race (last weekend) the experience exceeded all my expectations - I was devastated how weak my running form was after a race-pace bike ride.

Now preparing for the London Tri in Sept and want to condition myself - to the best extent possible in the time I have - to post a solid run leg after a solid bike ride. So, I'm after any tips & tricks from the experienced folk out here on what they do to minimise this "T2 syndrome."

I know THE answer to this is "do more brick sessions" and I'm obviously planning to do this, but given that there's only about six weeks left till the race I'm wondering if there are any other little things I should/could do that would help?

Thoughts?

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi

It's less about how weak your running is off the bike - more about the 'feeling' of running weak off the bike. What I mean by this is that you've just ridden at race-pace using certain muscle groups sitting on your bike and then attempting to run using another set of muscle groups and also under your own steam. It just feels wrong. It's like your moving but with someone elses legs

You are right in that you need to practice the bike-to-run to get used to having that feeling. Not only that though, you need to practice having that feeling off the bike and running at your race pace - as opposed to too slow or even worse, too fast which leads to blowing up and a bad run leg of your race

Not long now, so I suggest just once a week as part of your race prep to do either:
    1) One longish brick session of normal pace on your bike for an hour (or whatever your plan says) followed by no more than a 20 minute run as soon as you can off the bike.
    2) or, do 3 x (20min bike at just under race pace:10min run). No pauses between sets, get on and ride and off to run quickly - you could even use this as transition practice . A nice session that will get your heart rate going and you'll get a lot of experience of running off the bike.

For both sessions, if you know your pace for your race, try and make sure that you run at that pace off the bike (use your watch if you have one and keep an eye on it regularly). A few sessions will get you familiar with how you should run off the bike and you'll be confident that the wobbly legs are in fact ok and you can get yourself through that as you will have the experience behind you.

Have fun!
  • AKAK Posts: 27
    Thanks for the pointers gavinp, really appreciated.

I've also read about some tactics people employ when finishing the bike leg - stretching, spinning, standing up in the saddle, etc.; do these work at all?

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    kfjatek wrote:
    Thanks for the pointers gavinp, really appreciated.

I've also read about some tactics people employ when finishing the bike leg - stretching, spinning, standing up in the saddle, etc.; do these work at all?

Yep, any of these - If you know the route and don't do it too early/late. You should be adjusting yourself in the saddle as you go along anyway to keep the blood flowing.

If it's a sprint race, you should be spinning fast anyway, and I (personally) have never felt the benefits of spinning the legs at the end of an Olympic distance race (each to their own so try it out in training!). Spinning your leg at the end of an ironman though is a different thing alltogether. Much needed I would say!

Have fun.
  • AKAK Posts: 27
    Thanks gavinp - no plans to go for an Ironman on the horizon for now for me; taking it one step at a time

• Its really a tough task to run after a hard bike ride. After biking our legs are just don't pick up that energy that is in normal running condition. So more practice is required to overcome this issue. To improve your leg endurance power use fixed bicycle with good resistant.
  • Just picked up the post. The other part of running off the bike is making sure your bike is set up correctly. If you had a cyclist do a bike fit, then chances are you are set up for cycling (seat too far back and wrong leg/body position), even if you use aerobars. This means the legs and hip areas are being fatigued.

If you haven't already, get a bike fit as once you've got a tri set up you will feel the difference as the legs are a lot fresher coming off the bike.