Home Chat General Chat

In for a Penny

Hi,

I'm in the Army, and after seeing some of our injured troops complete an Ironman for charity I was inspired and decided to give it a crack myself.

Having only ever completed a sprint distance (5 years ago) i've decided to go the whole hog and signed up to the Wimbleball 70.3 and Bolton full IM (in for a penny, in for a pound!)

My thought process is that 8 months training should be more than enough for the 70.3 (is it?) in June which should hopefully then set me up nicely for the Bolton race in August (will it?)

I want to do an Olympic Distance race as part of my training and have seen one thats being held on June 2nd (Bosworth). Would it be a good idea to use this race as the finally to my training before tapering off or is it too close to the 70.3 on 16th June?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    jaymac59 wrote:
    My thought process is that 8 months training should be more than enough for the 70.3 (is it?) in June which should hopefully then set me up nicely for the Bolton race in August (will it?)
    Yes, should be fine as long as you have started or are starting soon!
    jaymac59 wrote:
    I want to do an Olympic Distance race as part of my training and have seen one thats being held on June 2nd (Bosworth). Would it be a good idea to use this race as the finally to my training before tapering off or is it too close to the 70.3 on 16th June?
    Personally I think it's too close. What if you injure yourself going all out on an Olympic distance race two weeks before your 70.3? I would give it at least four weeks just in case. This will give you an indicator of what it's like to race (as you've not done one for a while) and also will tell you what you need to tune up on with (at least) three weeks of training left to play with.

Have fun!
  • Thanks for the good advice,

I'll look for an Olympic Distance race around mid May then.

Cheers!