Home Chat General Chat

Core and Strenght Training

Just been reading a couple of posts on the board and its just reminded me i need to do some core and strenght training this winter - i get really bored with it but will try and perservere - does anyone have any particular sets which can be done in around 30/40 mins. I belong to a gym but would also like to do some from home (keep the wife happy!)

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi

Mix it up with some kettle bell or medicine ball sessions at your gym if they have any.. that'll keep you occupied for the rest of the winter!

(EDIT) I didn't get a chance the other day to add that a more dynamic session with kettle balls or a medicine ball are more beneficial to triathletes. Doing core exercises like situps only attacks isolated muscles (and yes will give you a nice six pack but wont help on a 7 hour bike ride), whereas a more dynamic routine will engage a series of muscles thoughout your core which we, as triathletes will benefit from more (hope that makes sense ).

Something else we never talk about (fight club scenario maybe?) is Pilates. This is something that everyone needs to be doing. If you are looking for a class to do in your local area over the winter, go to a Pilates class. You can thank me at the end of next season.

• +1 for the Kettle bell sessions at the Gym!.......Keeps things fresh!

Nige
  • Another alternative which you can do at home is TRX, if you can set up and anchor point (or use the back of a door, using the supplied anchor). Really builds the core and works the muscles for all three disciplines. Search for TRX training in google and look at some of the youtube workouts.

The force tactical workouts are good and there is a lot a variety
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Fit Kit Pro or TRX which is similar. All round strength and conditioning....
  • I'm with the kettle bells its great.
  • +1 for the above. Kettlebells are great for developing explosive strength, along with strengthening of your core due to the compound nature of the exercise. You'll be extremely hard pressed to beat the effectiveness of suspension training though (TRX) A brilliant bit of kit

J