Home Chat General Chat
Options

Cannondale CAAD8

Does anybody have a Cannondale CAAD8 or have any opinions?

This will be my first road bike so not really sure what I'm looking for, I've read plenty of reviews but there's nothing like an owners opinion!

Been offered a 2012 model with about 45 miles on it cheap, should i go for it?

Comments

• Options
    HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Don't know about the CAAD8 but I got a CAAD7 eight years ago and still use it for training and racing. Love it. Light, rigid and fast. Can ride it all day. Came with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (long story) which certainly helped. Also my first real road racing bike.

Would certainly do the same again.

HarryD
  • Options
    Hi, I have a CAAD8 that I bought just over 2 years ago.
    It's my first "proper" road bike, prior to that I did 2 years of triathlons using my mountain bike so it's a massive improvement on that!
    I've probably done between 1000 and 2000 miles on it, and the only problem that I've had are that the spokes have popped out of the back wheel 3 times.
    Re-fitting the spokes has been a trivial repair for my LBS (I haven't got a clue how to do it myself) but the first time it happened the loose spoke got caught up in the gear mechanism and turned it inside out which resulted in a major repair.
    I suppose it doesn't help that I'm over 15 stone in weight, but I still think that there is a major weakness in the rear wheel.
    My LBS has advised new (and different) wheels, and to be honest, whenever I've seen CAAD8s in event bike racks, they rarely have the original wheels on them. When I've managed to talk to the owners, they've had similar issues with the factory fit wheels.
    The other issue I have is that on the flat and downhill I quite regularly "spin out". My CAAD8 has 3 cogs on the front, so I'm considering changing the big cog for a slightly bigger one.

With regard to the 2nd hand bike, make sure it's the right size for you, otherwise you'll end up spending more than you save on physio / chiropractor fees to sort out your bad neck & back!

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Factory wheels are one way of reducing the overall cost of a bike package, so yes, that's one potential reason for popping spokes. However, if you're >15st, you should maybe be on clydesdale wheels anyway, which are stronger or have a higher spoke count to tolerate the battering they may get, and the increased power bigger athletes can put out...
  • Options
    Hi,

I purchased a Cannondale Caad 8 2012 model at the end of last year. I've done about half a dozen rides on it. I had a Specialized Allez before and wanted a slightly better groupset. This one obviously comes with the Tiagra gears etc.

I like it a lot. The gearing is smooth. I have changed the saddle as I found the Specialized one really comfortable and the factory one uncomfortable after about an hour. I am using the wheels it came with at present but will change them for some summer wheels.

I've done about 6 long rides on it - 3 hours or so and I've always felt very confident riding it - uphill and down. It's a well built bike and I would recommend it, especially for a first bike. It's my training bike but I will certainly do some races on it and some sportives.

Hope that helps. Any questions please ask.