Home Chat General Chat

swimming in lake

Hi all
just want to know how can i get over the fear of swimming in a lake ,I have the fear of putting mt face in the water cheers Simon :roll:

Comments

• Hi Simon, welldone for not being scared to admit it. I've seen big beefy men have a panic attack half way across a lake, and I had an asthma attack in a lake too, so you are not alone.
    Are you trying to swim at this time of year in the UK? If so, I'm not surprised. There is a well known issue with putting your face in cold water. It causes you to take in a breath quite sharply. It is something we share with dolphins funnily enough. However, you can get used to it and you will be able to swim in a lake without feeling like you are about to have a panic attack. I managed it by swimming breaststroke at first - as you face is only under the water for a few seconds in breaststroke the sharp intake of breath seems less of an issue, and if it does, you can do a few strokes with your head above water before trying again. After a few sessions like that you should start to get the feel for it and the nerves brought on by the unusual feeling of swimming in a lake should subside. Then you can adopt a similar approach with crawl - Do a few strokes maybe holding your breath, then switch to bs, then when you feel recovered try again.
    I've made a couple of assumptions there, so let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree. Also let us know how you get on.
    Swimming in a lake is really wonderful when you finally get confident with it. Persist with your efforts - it really is worth it.
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    I've actually gotten to the point where I can't stand swimming in pools I would much rather swim in a lake.

Are you swimming in a lake now? where in the world are you?? If you are in the UK, then wait for a few more weeks until it gets warmer. If you've never done it before, it can be daunting. Are you able to get to a coach to help you? Rather than diving in and hoping for the best, a good coach will help you get over your fears.

Some tips to get you started:
    * Get a wetsuit that fits you properly.
    * Don't dive in. Slip yourself into the water and let your wetsuit fill up. This layer of water will warm up and help you stay 'comfortable'. If your wetsuit doesn't fit properly then it will just keep emptying and re-filling with cold water.. so not good.
    * Cup water over your head with your hands a few times and then when your happy, put your face into the water. Keep in mind that you should still be in shallow water at this point and you are in control of what happens. look around, you probably can't see anything but silt at this point. keep in control of your fears, because this really is all there is in most lakes other than weeds.
    * Once you are ready, start breaststroking close to the lake edge - every now and again dunk your head into the water. Once you are comfortable, start front crawl staying close to the bank.
    * every now and again, stop and take stock of where you are. Get comfortable again and start swimming.

This is of course all very basic. if you can get to a coach to help you out then that is better.

Have fun!
  • Swimming is a good form of cardio. I have no words to motivate you but i can say oe thing that you can reduce your fear with doing this so do this without any fear. You will get rid of with this fear. ou can motivate yourself and you have to.
  • Find out if there are local clubs that do open water sessions & join that. They'll have coaches that will be able to support & help you over come your fears and you'll be able to swim in a group. Remember though with a wetsuit you'll just float - start by just laying with your face in the water - get used to the sensation - stay in nice shallow preferably clearish water so you can just put your feet on the bottom if need be. Hopefully your confidence will grow from there.

Good luck!
  • Hi all thanks for the replies ,so determined to get in the lake .I can swim in the sea with no problem think it is the darkness that gets me ,got to get over the fear cheers Simon
  • I thought there is no harm in swimming in lake..Actually we must take prior concern about the swim wears and proper protection also.