Home Chat General Chat

What to wear??

I am doing my first ever triathlon this weekend and due to the weather conditions likely to be below freezing I am thinking that just a trisuit may prove to be a little chilly. I obviousely dont want to take seven hours in transition filling up hot water bottles and putting on thermals and scarves but on the flip side I dont want to catch hypothermia and end up blue!!

Any tips and advice on how to stay warm after jumping out of pool then onto a bike that would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I'd have thought, cycling jacket and gloves would be in order.

Possibly socks too or toe covers for the bike shoes.

In my recent tri I was able to squeeze my feet in bike shoes with the toe covers already on so didn't take much time.

Shouldn't need anything for the run.

Best of luck
  • Superwoo's advice is good. The parts that will get cold are your hands and feet, and your core. If your core gets cold you will really suffer so the best thing there is a wind proof jacket. Preferably something with a full zip, so you can zip it open if you do manage to warm up.
  • superwoosuperwoo Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice, weather is going to be -5 I'm being told so I think I just need to man up!! Must admit not looking forward to getting out the swimming pool and out in to the cold but hopefully if I go quick enough I will heat up quicker so there is an added incentive!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    1. If you are really concerned, underneath your trisuit wear a really tight sleeveless compression top, it must be really tight otherwise it will just act as an underwater parachute.

2, Go to Poundland, get some flight socks, cut the toes off - voila - arm warmers, put them on in T1. I used them on my first event last year (minus the compression top) when the weather turned overnight, horizontal rain and hailstones, the arm warmers were great, very warm, stretched up to the armpit and no need for anything else. Have also worn them on a couple of 10K runs in November and March.

3. Clingfilm stretched over your helmet, keeps rain and wind out and virtually unnoticeable.

4. If really, really worried, again Poundland, neoprene back protector. Worn under your tri suit

Don't faff about with jackets, overshoes and crap like that, we're only talking about an hour here - good luck and have fun
    Thanks for the advice, unfortunately/fortunately they cancelled the event so onwards and upwards to Lincoln next month and fingers crossed we see some improvment in the weather.
    In that case give me a shout when you get your bib number as I'll be competing there.
    So Lincoln tri is a week away, have you got your kit sorted? Bib no's are out, I am 313, need any pointers then just give me a shout.
    I think I'm all sorted and ready to go, got all the gear (no idea). I'm bib 391 so I will look out for you, I hear there is a monster of a hill at the start of the ride so once I'm over that it shoulf be plain sailing
    Not quite, a lot of people are caught out. Recce using Google Streetview, I do that on every new course so you know the landmarks etc. Out of T1, over 2 roundabouts - marshalled. First 2k flat, time to take on nutrition and get bike sorted. Road bends left, gradual rise, road bends right into Burton village, road bends right, rise increases, road bends left to start of Burton hill so at that point really start to spin out to get some momentum going. About 20m climb over 300m ... but it doesn't stop, turn left at the top, Police stop traffic for you, you then have another 15-20m climb over 750m, that catches a lot of people out as they don't expect it. So basically for about 2.5k you are climbing from gradual to short and sharp.

About 4k over the top then L onto Till Bridge lane. short sharp drop of about 30m over 1k, max out on your cadence there then further 10m drop over next 1k. Flat for 7k but it is generally windy, headwinds not uncommon but certainly crosswinds unless weather is exceedingly kind.

L 95 deg towards Saxilby, wibbly wobbly for 5.5k, can be gusty approaching Saxilby. L onto A57. 4k flat and straight, generally sheltered. R onto roundabout, beware lots of idiot chav drivers on their way to Skegness.
    Top information thank you, I'm happy with that once the first hill section is out of the way it sounds like it will suit me nicely. Will keep an eye out for you to thank you in person or curse you if that hill is worse than you have made it sound
    Bib 391 - aha a fast swimmer, you will starting off next to my team mate 392.

Burton Hill climb profile is here; http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36412792
    As you can see the climb actually starts as you enter the village so you need to be setting yourself up well before not suddenly turning the corner on Main street and seeing that you have a hill to climb so it's all about getting your gears and cadence right and gritting your teeth for the next 2 minutes. Forewarned is forearmed and makes the job a bit easier.

Bike route here
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36411092

What I always do is that if unable to do a physical recce of the route I plot the route on www.mapmyride.com or something similar to get a feel for the course, profiles etc and then explore it with Google Streetview. Getting to know the course is important for safety so you can anticipate hazards, sharp descents etc. and also for planning your race i.e. when you need to be thinking about braking and when you need to get a wiggle on prior to a climb and also when approaching the end so you can think about dismounting and T2. E.g. on a section of the Vitruvian you are riding along a fairly flat bit as you approach a railway arch, what you don't see is that as soon as you go under the road bends to the left and Ripple 1 starts. If you know that then you can get a wiggle on for a few hundred metres to get some momentum and make the early part a bit (not much) easier. As you are racing the landmarks are recognisable and eases the stress levels, you need to be concentrating on getting the max effort down, not feathering the brakes or wondering where the next turn is.

Hope that helps
    Me and my mate are going to head up to Lincoln on Saturday so this should give us an opportunity to have a drive around the course and see what is in store for us. Looking forward to it now, I know I have cycled bigger hills so should not be a problem I will just keep focusing on the fun I will going down the other size.

Thanks for all the advice it has been greatly appreciated.