Home Chat General Chat

Advice on Eton Dorney Tri

My first event of the year is a sprint at Eton Dorney on the 25th May and I wondered if anyone had any tips on racing there? I believe its repititions of a loop of the lake.

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Scorch21Scorch21 Posts: 20
    Water is chilly
    Bike loop has the wind in your face one side and on your back the other.
    Run as above with wind but is an out and back route.
    Well organised and lovely venue though, good luck.
  • I'm going to this as well. Looking forward to my second tri event
  • Bit uninspiring route

Dead flat. Pancake apart from 3m of elevation over the bridge on the return bit of the loop.

Boring

Can be a tad windy

Watch out for the chicane on the outward stretch away from transition - its a left - right - left turn. Drop a gear before entering the corner.

Don't have a cardiac arrest - they still I don't believe, have a defib

Don't get unwell - the johnnies nearly killed someone last year.

You have 1/4 mile walk from car park to transition. carry all your kit as it get crowded for a "return to the car cos you forgot something" type expedition

If its sunny you'll burn ( it's not going to be)

The run is fast for the same reason the bike is - boring out and back

Best toilets are upstairs in clubhouse

Enjoy
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Well, when I was actually injury-free and racing, I used to enjoy this race, being a good benchmark for early season fitness.

It does get windy on the bike but hey ho, everyone is dealing with it. If its a nice day (no comment), its great for family and spectating as you go past the same spot so many times.

My advice is if its your first one there, before the race get as close as you can to the water on the parking side of the lake to see what you will be swimming towards on the final straight of the swim. Visual markers are important to avoid the zigzag towards the water exit (for me anyway). The may have a banner above or behind the swim exit so it will be good to know what you are aiming for.

Make a note of where you parked! With so many cars, it took me ages to find the car last time.
    Enjoy!
  • birdymanbirdyman Posts: 39
    willieverfinish wrote:
    Bit uninspiring route

Dead flat. Pancake apart from 3m of elevation over the bridge on the return bit of the loop.

Boring

Can be a tad windy

Watch out for the chicane on the outward stretch away from transition - its a left - right - left turn. Drop a gear before entering the corner.

Don't have a cardiac arrest - they still I don't believe, have a defib

Don't get unwell - the johnnies nearly killed someone last year.

You have 1/4 mile walk from car park to transition. carry all your kit as it get crowded for a "return to the car cos you forgot something" type expedition

If its sunny you'll burn ( it's not going to be)

The run is fast for the same reason the bike is - boring out and back

Best toilets are upstairs in clubhouse

Enjoy
    +1 to all that.

It's a good first event, to get a feel for the sport.