Home Chat General Chat

how should I Train?

Hi All!
I've decided to step up from doing sprint and Olympic tri's up to half Ironman and full Ironman distances this coming year!

I've entered the Outlaw Half June the 2nd, Wales Triathlon August the 3rd and intend to enter Ironman Wales which is on the 8th of September.

I would like to be as competitive as I could possibly be at all 3 events!

So my question is how should I prioritise my training schedule for the three events to achieve the best possible result for each event?

All suggestions welcome!

A little bit about me :-

I've been entering sprint/oly Triathlons for several years now for fun!
I normally finish in the middle of the field
My strengths are Bike, swim, run in that order.

I know It sounds as if it's a basic question, but I've stepped out of my comfort zone and have no idea how I should structure my seasons training and most of the free plans out there don't involve mixing half distance with full Ironman distance.

Pete.

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi

I suggest that you focus your training on the ironman race and use the other two as 'B' races which will help you keep focus during training and also give you some race practice.

Is the race in Wales in August a 70.3? If it is, then I suggest that you make this a very very easy race for you; as racing four weeks or so before an ironman isn't really a good idea tbh. You wont get any time for recovery in the weeks after that race, when you 'should' be peaking for your ironman rather than recovering from your half; and what a disaster it would be if you injured yourself after all that training and not be able to do the ironman race!

If you want to be competitive (rather than just finishing), you may want to consider getting yourself a coach who will be able to create a bespoke plan for you and be able to advise you on race planning etc.

Have fun!
  • Hi Gav,

Yeah the tri in wales is a 70.3 in August......My initial thoughts were when I entered was that at 5 weeks out from the Ironman it would be a good event to practice my race pace and nutrition strategy for Ironman Wales as It has similar terrain.

So do you think that if I focused on increasing my training volume,in endurance zone for the next 3 months, then the next 2 months working on building race pace and endurance ready for outlaw half in June, then focusing completely on Ironman Wales for the next 13 weeks using the 70.3 in August as a pre Ironman Wales Brick Type session to help me verify/cement my confidence in my Ironman Wales race pace and nutrition strategy?........I should finish it thinking I could do that again easily!?!?

What you think?

Cheers

Pete
    tri_harder wrote:
    Hi Gav,

Yeah the tri in wales is a 70.3 in August......My initial thoughts were when I entered was that at 5 weeks out from the Ironman it would be a good event to practice my race pace and nutrition strategy for Ironman Wales as It has similar terrain.

So do you think that if I focused on increasing my training volume,in endurance zone for the next 3 months, then the next 2 months working on building race pace and endurance ready for outlaw half in June, then focusing completely on Ironman Wales for the next 13 weeks using the 70.3 in August as a pre Ironman Wales Brick Type session to help me verify/cement my confidence in my Ironman Wales race pace and nutrition strategy?........I should finish it thinking I could do that again easily!?!?

What you think?

Cheers

Pete
    Short answer is yes but being very careful to keep in mind that it's a training session in August rather than a race - and be prepared to pull out at anytime if you feel any niggles or strains. Best to stop and get it sorted asap rather than toughing it out only to find you need to rest for the next six weeks
  • Awesome!

Cheers for the advice Gav!........Think the hardest thing I'm going to have to learn is to throttle back! as you probably know it's all to easy to get caught up in the moment and chase the next rider/runner down lol!

Thanks Again

Pete
    tri_harder wrote:
    Awesome!

Cheers for the advice Gav!........Think the hardest thing I'm going to have to learn is to throttle back! as you probably know it's all to easy to get caught up in the moment and chase the next rider/runner down lol!

Thanks Again

Pete
    Isn't that why we do it ?!

It happens in training too where we ignore the pain because we 'have' to keep going. Managing the stresses on your body is very important when you are going longer, so the better your base training now, the stronger your body will be to cope with the stresses of racing.

Have fun!
  • i have just came back from doing the Mumbles duathlon and i believe it takes in some of the 70.3 bike course, so id recommend doing a lot of hill training for the bike, i also know someone who done IM Wales last year and is doing it again this year, he said both the run and bike course where hilly, good luck anyway
  • tri_hardertri_harder Posts: 4
    Hi derek,

Mumbles is a fair bit off from Tenby, but your friend is correct about the terrain for the bike and run and living fairly local I'm able to get plenty of hilly training in, training is going well but as with everything could be better!.....looking forward to Outlaw Half, Should be Fast!

pete
  • derek1974derek1974 Posts: 7
    i realised that a couple of days after i posted, just kept forgetting to edit my post, hope your training is going well anyway
  • I'd like to know about training in a small space. i'd like to know more about tricep and bicep strength building. Sometimes disturbing others can get too much, I have about 6ft sq space.
  • Tell me your in prison ? Lol

Dips and chin ups, Push ups, one Arm Push ups etc etc

It's that easy