Home Chat General Chat

Ability to track partner on cycles

I've been looking for some kind of device which allows me to safely cycle with my partner. He usually leads on our long cycles and frequently turns his head to check I'm still behind him, moreso for safety. However, it terrifies me when he does this as he's taking his eye off the road.

My thinking is that there must be some kind of device which can gives him a small beep/flash when I drop over 20 metres behind him so that he can slow down if I'm off 'track' to allow me to catch up.

Hope that makes sense. Anybody seen anything like it? Incidentally we both use iPhones and Garmin 910XT's.

Susan

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi Susan

Sorry to state the obvious, but really your husband should be cycling 'with' you, as in staying together at all times, and possibly behind you so that he can keep an eye on you from behind and also protect you from traffic by being out a little to your right so that traffic doesn't get too close. He may feel this is slowing him down, but aren't you supposed to be out on a ride 'together'?

If that's not the right answer for you, then you can buy a low tech solution - wing mirrors. Most shops have them or you can get them from lots of online stores. That way he can see you without dangerously turning around and wobbling around the road.

Hope that helps a little. Sorry if it doesn't
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I mentioned wing mirrors but he's not so keen. He is fine about looking behind for me, it's me that has the worry about him crashing.

Nonetheless, I should be out in front of him as you say. It's more of a confidence thing.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    How about the mirror for the cyclist " who doesnt do mirrors"

Cycleaware View Point Adjustable Mini Mirror Round (mini)

A little round mirror attaches inside his sunglasses so his street cred will be intact, but he might still be able to see you. I say might as the reviews are mixed. I think it would annoy me, personally.

I agree, best thing is to take turns at front. It will also help your confidence on the road, which is invaluable.
  • Er

Why are you worried about him ? If he is capable of turning around ( which , let's be honest isn't hard and it's something kids do) then let him be.

Sounds like you need to worry about yourself & no one else

Be safe on the roads. Ride correctly and you'll be fine.

Enjoy
  • SociopathSociopath Posts: 8
    As people above, I think it's not the solution (in short: cycle together, that's the point, right?). But if you wan't a solution, there are some.

- You can get phone holder for handlebars and get some gps based app (like mapmytracks).
    - Get ant+ speed sensor attached to your front wheel and ant+ head unit attached to his handlebars. He will be able to track your speed and since it works only at close proximity - go figure .

Still, better to actually cycle together
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As above, simply cycle together, the pace is dictated by the slower rider. Failing that handlebar mirrors, how about something like this ...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baby-Tracker- ... 3a69a29f28