Home Chat General Chat

Sore Ankle - Run Mechanics - Advice Please!

Hi, I have been running for years and for many of those have used stability type trainers which has been advised after someone has checket my gait using a running machine and video. However, a couple of months ago i went to get new trainers and the guy who videoed me told me that i was actually quite an upright runner and if i let forward, i would be more mid/front foot runner and could therefore use standard running shoes - he spent ages watching me run and from different angles and really seemed to know his stuff - so i bought some saucony truimph 10 trainers which have been fine - up until now.

I have run a fair few miles in them and did a sprint tri a couple of weeks ago - last week i started to notice a small pain in my right ankle and just put this down to the usual pains and strains of training. However, it hasnt gone away and after doing a brick session on tuesday night, the ankle really is quite sore.

My question is, could this be caused by the trainers and can someone who overpronates actually wear standard trainers by changing their running style. I feel i lean more forward and in fact my running times have improved and i feel faster but maybe i'm back on the heal when i'm tired.

If anyone understands running mechanics etc and has any advice, it would be really appreciated - i really prefer to run in standard shoes!

Thanks
James

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi jamesly

If you've only had them for a few months and are already racing in them then yes, the trainers are causing the problems. To go from supporting trainers to a neutral shoe and race in them so soon is going to cause damage. You really do need to wear in and build up to a different kind of running shoe over a good few months at least before even considering racing in them - and even then I wouldn't do anything more than a sprint race.

Did the salesman suggest those trainers for you?
    Did he ask what races you would be doing?
    Did you try a number of different types of trainer checking the fit and videoing again for each pair?
    Did he suggest how you would go from supporting trainers to neutral and changes in technique?

To answer your question, yes it is possible. I used to overpronate and had to use the biggest supporting trainer on the planet, but with a lot of strengthening exercises, stretching and learning good technique I now wear minimalist trainers with a forefoot strike - BUT, it has taken me around two years to get to this point and is right for 'me'. It may not be right for you. Forefoot running isn't the be-all solution for everyone. We are all completely different biomechanically afterall. There are lots of heel strikers out there and in fact manufacturers are making trainers for heel strikers now too.

Read everything you can on the subject and try everything and decide for yourself what works for you. The guy in the shop, although helpfull is still just trying to make a sale afterall and anyone can watch a video, but does he actually 'know' what he is looking at. I would hope so but you'd be surprised how many haven't had the proper training.

Rest up (RICE) and start again from scratch with the new trainers. I also suggest throwing away your old trainers as going from supporting to neutral during training doesn't help either.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck and have fun on your journey!
  • JameslyJamesly Posts: 69
    Hi, thanks for your reply thats really helpful and i will read on this.

The guy who servied me seemed very knowledgable and experienced, much more so than many others who have helped me in the past. he chose 5 pairs for me to try and told me to ignore colour and price and choose the ones which gave the best fit and felt right, we then spent 20-30 mins trying each pair on - he said he had his preference but wouldnt tell me until i had made my choice and they were indeed the same trainer.

I will work on my running style and strenghtening and see what happens.

Thanks

Hadley
    Jamesly wrote:
    Hi, thanks for your reply thats really helpful and i will read on this.

The guy who servied me seemed very knowledgable and experienced, much more so than many others who have helped me in the past. he chose 5 pairs for me to try and told me to ignore colour and price and choose the ones which gave the best fit and felt right, we then spent 20-30 mins trying each pair on - he said he had his preference but wouldnt tell me until i had made my choice and they were indeed the same trainer.

I will work on my running style and strenghtening and see what happens.

Thanks

Hadley
    Excellent, thats good so rest and then re-building it is then. Have fun!
  • JameslyJamesly Posts: 69
    Hi, one question, do you have a book you could recommend to help me? Your help is very much appreciated
    Oddly enough I've never had/read any books on running injuries (books out there are mostly about running methods or peoples journey when running etc). There is so much usefull information on the internet about injury and prevention that I tend to research online for that kind of thing as well as learned over the years from Physios, other experienced runners and coaches.

As a coach I do need to take the next step and go on some courses but they are on my to-do list!

Take a look at online resources such as RunnersWorld Uk. They tend to have lots of information as well as also having forums attached that have more information on running specifically (as they would).

Have fun!