Home Chat General Chat

Aero Position

HI all,

Had a bike fit on my Giant Defy 4 a few months back. Just asked the wife to take a side-on photo so I can assess the aero position it's got me into now that I'm comfortable with it.

I have around 12cm of drop from the saddle to the clip-on tri-bars at the moment. Looking at my position, to achieve a flat back I need to go up to 22cm of drop or there abouts. I think this will mean moving to a proper TT bike. My question is, is another 10cm of drop likely to make a significant difference to my speeds? I don't feel at all tired or sore riding in the current position for upwards of an hour.

I am currently riding at around 22mph on a slightly hilly 15 mile TT course for reference. I'm really trying to assess how much difference the optimum drop would make to my speed.

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Why not make the changes you describe, ride the same 15TT and look at the times or am I missing something ?
  • Heyup! Sorry if I didn't explain it properly. I can't get any more drop on my road bike as far as I can see. The seat is where it needs to be to get me the right position for leg movement and from what I can see the handlebars won't go any lower. So to get 22cm of drop I think I need another bike. Because TT bikes are expensive I was wondering roughly what difference it would make. I do have the cash to get one now but it's a scary amount of money to throw away if it makes no difference. Most places I am speaking to don't have bikes in my size to test drive either (I need an XL frame in most sizes).
  • tommiebtommieb Posts: 1
    You could try flipping your stem around first?
  • Interesting. I am fairly good with mechanical things but haven't tried that on a bike before. Do I need any special tools or is it a pretty straightforward job?

I have a Giant Defy 4 and have no idea if it is even possible or not.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    No its easy...where the stem connects to the forks - well you swap that bit for the handlebars. You may need an adapter depending on the width of your bars
    An XL frame ? You sure for a TT

I'm 6ft 3 with a 34 inch leg and I'm a medium ( or 56cm) TT frame

Bike sizes aren't simply about getting a bigger frame the bigger you are

And to answer your question - yes - it deffo will make you faster provided your fitted on it correctly
    Ben

I'm 6ft 3 and I have an XL frame....you know where I went so it can't be wrong...
    Bear in mind TT's have a shorter wheel base as well
    Oh I know but also different brands size up differently - worth bearing in mind too
  • Thanks all for the advice!