Home Chat General Chat

Chain set

I live in quite a hilly area, but also like to blast out on the flats, when I come across them!!! But which crank would be the best, Standard or compact???

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Compact will have you spinning up nicely but you may find yourself spinning out...I live in a hilly area but I am happy with a normal 53/39 on the front
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Standard double and swap cassettes around if required
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hmm not sure I entirely agree there.

Not everyone is comfortable on a standard chainset.

If you are a proficient pedallar and you are comfortbale at climbing then fine. But bear in mind even the pros switch to compacts when it get hilly so that they spin up hills. Contador had a compact and a 28t at the Veulta last year.

Your other option is Q-Rings, which I have on my TT but not roadie and I can climb better with my TT than my roadie.

I'm about to whack them on my road bike for that very reason. This is will give you range of a compact at the deadspot but also roughly about a 57t on the normal power phase so you end up with complete power through the pedal stroke. Caveat - they are not for everyone though but Qrings come with a 30day try before you buy.
  • Scorch21Scorch21 Posts: 20
    Thanks guys, went for compact and as not very good on hill work. But also bought myself a 11-26 for on the flats.