Home Chat General Chat

Training Advice

Hi all,

I've competed in Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons for the last 4 years, but this year is the first time I've decided to really put some effort into my training. I've set myself a gal of trying to get a sub 2h30m time for an Olympic distance - but given that my best performance so far has been 2h50m I'm probably setting my sights too high!

I was wondering if someone would mind taking a look at my current training week and give me some pointers where I might tweak it? One major problem I have is that, like many of us, I have to train around my work (desk job) and family commitments - in fact my wife has all but insisted that my training can't eat into time with her and my 18mth son... So bear that in mind when you read my schedule below!

Mon: Cycle 23km to work in the morning. Run 5km during my lunch break.
Tues: Swim 1.5km during my lunch break. Cycle 23km home in the evening.
Wed: Run 10km during my lunch break or rest if I've done a Sunday ride
Thurs: Cycle 23km to work in the morning. Run 5km during my lunch break.
Fri: Swim 1.5km during my lunch break. Cycle 23km home in the evening.
Sat: Rest
Sun: Rest or 3hr Ride

I'm very bad at doing any kind of interval training - in fact I typically just go out and "do the distance" I've set myself.

With my schedule above I'm finding I'm often hitting points where my muscles feel like dead weights (especially my quads on the bike sessions). I think that might be a nutrition problem as I'm struggling to get the extra calories that I suspect I need. Does anyone recommend post-training shakes such as Maximuscle Cyclone? Not sure if that's the right product or not!?

Oh - in case it helps... My stats are:

Height: 5'9
Weight: 172 lbs

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi WarlordOfMars,
    I am in a very similar position to you, and like you most of my training happens on the way and back to work. I've done a variety of things over the years, so I may be able to help you.
    My first suggestion was going to be interval training, but I notice you are not good at it.
    If you can manage to do some, you will see rapid improvements in your speed. Running would be the best one to start on - one of your lunch time runs, run fast for 30 secs, then recover while running slowly, then repeat. Alternatively do some Fartleks. Use something random as a trigger, like when you see a blue car run fast until you see a red car. This might just provide you with enough interest to get you into interval training. If you can give it a go, the improvements you see should spur you on to continue.
    An alternative, might be to mix in some strength training if you really find interval training hard.
    You could try doing some hindu squats during your run. I used this last year when my time was limited and I needed to stress my muscles enough to get to a half marathon distance without doing all the training associated. What I did was run 2 miles, do 100 hindu squats (check youtube), run 2 miles do 100 squats, run 2 miles. I would say that made it feel like I had run about 10 miles, and the squats take about 2 mins. You could also mix in some squats in your day whenever you have 2 mins and you are stood still, e.g., kids in the bath etc.
    Another thing to do which most ignore is do some Abs exercises. A stronger core will make you a more efficient triathlete and able to go quicker. I actually feel taller when I run now because this has sorted my posture out. You could stop on your run at a bench and do these. Perch on your bum and crunch your legs and upper body together. There are many varieties so explore the web.
    Hope some of this helps, and keep going!
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Hi

Can't really do much with one weeks worth of training as it should be changing weekly - so next week would be different to this week etc, which is probably why you aren't seeing any improvements as you are just doing the same thing every week (?).

Understandably you have family and work commitments with very little time to train (welcome to the club!), so you need to stop doing junk miles (which is what you are doing) and start training in a smart way where each session has a goal and you are focused on nailing that session

Good suggestions from backtothecaves. In particular, you should have been working on core / strength&conditioning all winter in preperation for your race season. If you haven't that's fine. Start now.

Also, have you had a bike fit? it may be that your bike isn't set up right for you.

if you want to be competitive I would suggest either:
    * Join your local triathlon club for likeminded people who have the experience and can give you the push you need. We are generally a social bunch of people and you will also make lots of good friends too
    * It IS possible to go sub 2:30 for you. If you have a race you are aiming at around August / September then get yourself a coach. You have more than enough time to get someone to train you properly.
    * Or.. do both the above if you can for the properly organised training plan and some mates to egg you on to your goal.

Above all. Have fun!
  • Thanks for the suggestions!

I've just started (this week) to mix it up a bit so that I'm not just doing the same thing in each session. Rather than just "doing the miles" I'm trying to set mini-goals for each training session. I also mix up my cycle route to sometimes include hills, and to do make-shift intervals by sprinting certain parts of my route. Same for the running - I did the first structured interval session this week that I've done in a LONG time, and actually quite enjoyed it so will schedule some more in!

Good idea for the core exercises too - I'll check out the Hindu squats! I used to train in Thai Boxing (for 7 years!) so have a large repertoire of these types excercises that I can throw into the mix.

Thanks!
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    WarlordOfMars wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I've just started (this week) to mix it up a bit so that I'm not just doing the same thing in each session. Rather than just "doing the miles" I'm trying to set mini-goals for each training session. I also mix up my cycle route to sometimes include hills, and to do make-shift intervals by sprinting certain parts of my route. Same for the running - I did the first structured interval session this week that I've done in a LONG time, and actually quite enjoyed it so will schedule some more in!

Good idea for the core exercises too - I'll check out the Hindu squats! I used to train in Thai Boxing (for 7 years!) so have a large repertoire of these types excercises that I can throw into the mix.

Thanks!
    Awesome You are going to have sooo much fun!

Have a good race
  • Well - I did my first Olympic distance of the year at the Virgin London Triathlon on Sunday...

I'm pleased to report that my time was 2h23m - so nicely under my target of 2h30m!

Thanks again for the advice, I think the single biggest change to my training was to add interval/fartlek training. After introducing these I started to see massive improvements in pace. For example when it came to running I had plateued at 23 mins for 5k and 50 mins for 10k. I'm now sub-20mins for 5k and 43 mins for 10k. Very pleased!

Just have to keep it up for Hyde Park!