Home Chat General Chat

Swim breathing

Has anyone got any good tips for better breathing and technice for crawl as I am struggling I have always done Brest stroke and can do that all day long

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Get a tri or swim coach to look at your technique. So much going on in front crawl that you need the whole picture looking at.

Where are you based? May get some good coach recommendations posted.

HarryD
  • Have s look on Youtube for video tips. If you give some more detail on here about why you are struggling I may be able to help. It is very difficult when you start out. You could try a drill I've seen with a float where you hold it with one hand, do teh stroke with the other, then swap hands. I've never done, it, but it gives you extra bouyancy which was the thing I always found difficult when starting out.
  • stevemonstevemon Posts: 1
    I have been struggling with the same issue for over a year. Perseverance with drills for stroke (arms), kick (legs), breathing (head turn), exercises to improve core (tummy) stability. Over time, how many times per week you train?, you will develop a rhythm (timing), become smoother (more efficient) and breathing will be easier (not necessarily easy). I still swim breaststroke in events, because its faster for me.
  • MindenManMindenMan Posts: 5
    Assuming you can't get to or afford a coaching session, which I would recommend over my path....

I went from being a breaststroking(!) swimmer to now being able to easily swim 2km open water, granted, not fast by any means but comfortable and enjoyable.
    It took a while but basically I stopped doing breaststroke and only did crawl. I focused on doing one length well, then rest, then another length, at each session I looked to reduce the rest time in between lengths.
    The big thing for me was working out which breathing worked, same side, bi-lateral, every 3rd, 4th or 5th stroke etc. I think this is key. I found that I swam in a more relaxed way if just breathing to one side every left stroke. Everybody is different and you have to find the breathing pattern that is most comfortable for you. Once you find the right method you'll soon relax and start to improve. BUT, like everyone said, it does take time and practice, plenty of practice.

One last thing to add. I know that many natural swimmers and some swim coaches don't like it when you breathe on only one side, but in my opinion, if it works for you and your relaxed then it's probably best for you.
    TC
  • Watching videos of the elite in youtube always helps...
    also there is a site called Swim Smooth that give really good tips about technique and all that

Good luck!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    The ZFive
    A Triathlon Inspired Brand
  • derek1974derek1974 Posts: 7
    i had the same problems, and eventually took my son with me, who is a very god swimmer and went from struggling to swim 2 lengths out of breath to being able to swim 40 without stopping in a few weeks. since then i have joined a local tri club and have been going to their swimming sessions and have improved my technique. i would recommend either a swim coach or going along to your your local tri club's swimming sessions
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    [edit 13/09]I hold regular swim clinics looking at swim technique. If anyone is interested in some details please PM me
  • Assuming you are talking about breathing in the sense that you get out of breathe / tired quickly, this is a very common problem and one that you really need to address to be able to make progress.

What you need to do is to focus on relaxed, continuous exhalation when your head is in the water - you can practice this without swimming and in a standing position, then progress to 'sinking' into the water then finally when you are swimming.

Simply inhale and then as soon as you put your head into the water (standing, sinking, swimming), exhale in a relaxed manner - through nose or mouth or both - until you feel like you naturally need to take a breathe - then lift your head, come up or rotate and inhale. Note that you will probably not have fully exhaled in many of your early attempts at this - but try to relax and exhale until your lungs feel naturally empty and ready for a breathe.

Practice this many times and you should start to feel comfortable and much more relaxed - and you should be surprised at how easy swimming then feels whilst continuously exhaling.
    gavinp wrote:
    I'm a swim smooth coach and hold regular swim clinics. If anyone is interested in some details please PM me
    Note also that if you want to contact a CERTIFIED Swim Smooth Coach, see: http://www.swimsmooth.com/certifiedcoaches.html
    MartinH wrote:
    [quote="gavinp":21yr4fba]I'm a swim smooth coach and hold regular swim clinics. If anyone is interested in some details please PM me
    Note also that if you want to contact a CERTIFIED Swim Smooth Coach, see: http://www.swimsmooth.com/certifiedcoaches.html[/quote:21yr4fba]

That's right I'm not a certified swim smooth coach and have never promoted myself as such. I have however completed the swim smooth coaches CPD with Paul and Adam (early last year) and have been coaching the swim smooth way prior to this for four years or so now. I'm also an active member of the swim smooth forum (http://www.swimsmoothforum.com/) helping people out with their swim technique pretty much on a daily basis if I can.

Nothing stopping anyone going to a certified coach however as I know a few of them myself personally and they are all excellent coaches and have worked hard for the privelidge of becoming swim smooth coaches I am simply offering my own services here (as someone who has coached the swim smooth way for a number of years) the swim smooth way as opposed to ASA, Total Immersion, or any other option out there. My apologies if I have mislead anyone in any way.
  • I`ve read the previous posts and have a similar problem. I can breath on both sides and every 3rd breath take 2 breaths to the left, but just find the oxygen doesn't seem to be getting to my arms and they get tired easily.

I`m not in a position to work with a coach or Tri team as I work in Ghana, so any useful sites or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2 - 3 km isn't a problem as I can complete this easily doing breast stroke, but need to work on my crawl if I want to improve my Tri times.

Any help as I said would be great.
    Colin Mason wrote:
    I`ve read the previous posts and have a similar problem. I can breath on both sides and every 3rd breath take 2 breaths to the left, but just find the oxygen doesn't seem to be getting to my arms and they get tired easily.

I`m not in a position to work with a coach or Tri team as I work in Ghana, so any useful sites or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2 - 3 km isn't a problem as I can complete this easily doing breast stroke, but need to work on my crawl if I want to improve my Tri times.

Any help as I said would be great.
    Hi Colin some questions for you:
    * Do you find it hard to pull your arms out of the water at the end of the stroke?
    * Do your legs sink when swimming?
    * Are you kicking hard or not at all when doing front crawl?

If you are in a position to post some video to the swimsmooth forum then I or some others on the forum will be able to help you out as much as we can.