Home Chat General Chat
Options

Ironman 70.3 and Cancer Research UK

Hi, Its begging time! [:D]

I'm taking part in the UK 70.3 this year and I'm trying to raise money for Cancer Research UK. As you are probably aware, cancer will affect 1 in 3 of us, whether directly or indirectly and I'm using Wimbleball as an excuse to blackmail my work mates into giving some money to charity!

On a slightly more serious note, I have a Just Giving website set up where donations can be made. I figured that the Triathlon community would be a good place to ask for sponsers as most of us came to sport through cycling and i'll bet that 90% of us still wear the yellow Livestrong wrist bands. I'm aiming for a sub 6 hour race and have been training since last august. I'm aware that people are less inclined to give money to a complete stranger so heres a little bit about me:

I'm a 23 year old pilot who took up triathlon last year after my doctor told me that I would loose my flying catagory if I dislocated my shoulder again (6 times in 3 years, all rugby related. Ouch!) Up until last year i had an old racer with the levers on the down tube and couldn't swim further then 50m! I spent most of winter working on my swim and can now manage 1000m in about 20mins, my cycling has come on bounds after getting a brand new Giant SCR 2.0 last summer and since adding aerobars and clipless pedals my 40km split has dropped alot! My run has always been my strongest discipline and I'm confident that I can put a half marathon behind me in about 1:40.

Fortunately I have not encountered cancer but the ads made such an impression on me that I want to do as much as I can to cure this terrible diesease.

So thats basically it, please sponsor me, even if you can only spare £1, if 100 people give the same then we will have made a substantal effort.

The site is [color=#800080]www.justgiving.com/madbastard[/color]

If the last part of the web address is missing then its another name for a child born out of wedlock, or complete the Austin Powers quote "How about NO! You crazy Dutch Bas**rd!"

Thanks in advance.

Rob [:)]

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, just pushing this up to the top again. Please guys just check the website out at least. Ok, this isn't a full Ironman but I'm also not batting above my average, i'm deadly serious about completing in under 6 hours and would really like to make a difference, I know the London marathon is this weekend and people will have already donated to that but as I've already said, please just check the site out.

Feel free to ask any questions about the event or me and i'll answer as best I can.

Thanks, Rob