Home Training for a Triathlon

Swimming injury

I had an intense coached swim last Thursday. I was ok during and after, but that night awoke with intense pain between my shoulder blades. Attempting to roll over in bed was agony and, although things have improved in the daytime since and I have managed to run and ride comfortably, the nights are awful and I struggle to move when lying down! A 'recovery' swim on Sunday felt ok, but made matters no better or worse. I know massage is a good plan but that will have to wait till next week. Anyone had anything similar? Any tips?

Comments

• Jamie220Jamie220 Posts: 168

Hi alismed sorry to hear about this, have you spoken to your coach about it?

Either way, I would suggest seeing a doctor and/or trusted physio as soon as you can...

• Cheers Jamie, Thanks for your advice. I have contacted my coach and booked a massage

• I am pleased to say that after some good massage, stretching advice and careful training, my injury has completely cleared up. Back on course...

• Great news! Good luck with your training, let us know how you go.

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168

Hi.

As a coach i am wondering what happened to cause the injury.  Was it down to your swimming session or something else?

What was the actual problem and how was it cured.

Many thanks.

• Hi gavinp, I am fairly new to front crawl and we had been upping the intensity of training as the season drew to a close. I am not sure exactly what caused it but put it down to overdoing it a bit (I had done a race a few days earlier and maybe should have done less) and insufficient stretching afterwards. It may have only been partially the swim as I do tend to carry tension in my shoulders, The cure was some time off swimming - 2+ weeks and the massage really helped. I am training normally again now, cautiously! with no ill effects so hope it was a one off. Thankyou for your concern