Home Chat General Chat
Options

Winter run training

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advise on what sort of run sessions I should be doing this time of year, I've heard so many contradicting things?! I want to peak my 5k performance for May/June next year but what should I be doing now? I have time to run 3/4 times a week. Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Hi Lee,

What's your running background so far? Have you done much? It would also be helpful to know what your previous 5k PB is and whether that was as part of a triathlon or not.

For a 5k peak performance I wouldn't start the 'serious' run training just yet - June next year is quite a long way off. I tend to vary my runs over the off-season, working on maintaining health, fitness and strength by doing a variety of speed, hill and trail sessions and just having some fun with it! Then come the new year, you can look at a more structured training plan.

3/4 times a week is great too, as that will enable you to do a variety of sessions as well. Maybe a couple of shorter, speedier sessions, one hill session and one longer run?

Hope this helps!

Good luck,
    Helen

• Options
    HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

Lee

As Helen says you have plenty of time to really focus on race specifics later - probably starting late-Feb/mid-March

However you can use this time to build on some essentials which at this time of the season are:

Endurance; steady runs up hill & down dale. Pace depends on current fitness but only at the top of hills should you be breathless. Say 2 sessions per week

Strength; strong legs make fast runners. Strong cores make less injured runners. Can be done in gym, Pilates or core classes or as hill reps. Say 1 session per week

Speed; this is developing good technique which is a skill and is not easy. Get your running posture, arm and leg actions sorted out. May mean gait retraining, stretching & strengthening. Learn how to run fast and effectively. You will almost certainly need a run or tri coach to assess and help in the correction. Sepcific drills and workouts can be standalone sessions or may be incorporated into the others

Hope this helps

HarryD

• Options

Great bit of advice, thanks guys. Sounds like I'm roughly on the right track!

Helen, I've been running for quite a few years but most my fitness has come from playing football. My 5k pb is 17.45 which was run at a parkrun, its more like 18.30/45 in a sprint triathlon. I've qualified for the age grouper champs in Kitzbuhel next June (first timer!!!) so really want to do well in that.