Home Training for a Triathlon

Advice re kit

I have just signed up to do my first sprint triathlon next June.  I'm not sure yet if I'll get the bug and go on to do more, so at this stage I don't want to spend unnecessarily and buy things I'll never use again.

I've got a new bike and running shoes so it's the swim I need to consider.

Some articles I've read advise getting changed from trunks (under wetsuit) into cycling shorts and then again into running gear - this obviously affects the time but for first timers it might be better to be comfortable than worry about a few seconds.

Someone recommends triathlon shorts under the wetsuit and then wear them on all 3 stages.  Apparently they have a little padding but not too much (like cycling shorts) as to make it uncomfirtable on the run.  Not considering a full triathlon suit as a) I'm getting a vest from my charity, and b) you really don't want to see someone like me in a full lycra suit - it will attract complaints!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

If you are new to Triathlon you are probably not aware that nudity in transition area will result in disqualification so it is not a good idea to change trunks /shorts etc

Triathlon shorts will definitely be your best option, they are not as well padded as cycling shorts but they do the job.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get the bug and want to do more events, Triathlon can be very addictive.

Good Luck with your race and happy training.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    There are a few options to try, you mention wetsuit, so can we assume the sprint Tri is open water, if so a number of open water triathlons this year were either turned into a duathlon due to the water being too cold ( early season), or made a non wetsuit swim due to the water being too warm so have some contingency plans factored in.