Home Chat General Chat

Fitness Question

I was driving to work this morning and had a thought.

Sad as I am I waas trying to define what being fit actually means.

Does being fit mean somebody who can complete a triathlon without breaking sweat, or is being fit the quickest man in the worl over 100 metres?

If I wanted to be at ultimate fitness. Does being fit apply to what you want to be fit for?

Comments

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    What planet did you say you were from Jason lol[;)] I reckon its an individual kind of thing asthere are so many levels of fitness. Anybody who finishes a tri is fit, but anyone else who finishes with a better time or not sweating is fitter (unless they have thyroid problems)
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    I've seen answers to questions like this before. It depends on what you are measuring e.g. strength, speed, endurance, body fat. Good thing about Tri is that you need to be good in each of these areas however a body builder with great strength and low body fat will probably be crap at running 10km or biking 40km. Unless of course they train for it.

I'm currently the fittest i've ever been yet physically I don't look it!

Personally, I would go for Ironmen as the fittest.
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Wella

Snap - I am far fitter now than when I was 2 stone lighter (many years ago), I just wish to be that 2 stone lighter and keep the power [:)] - how much faster would I be.

I couldn't run 1K - now I regularly run 10K, bike 100K+ and swim (still poor at this bit [:(] ) - but I was strong (rugby and yachting), therefore my aerobically fitness has vastly increased but my upper body strength has decreased. Fitness is about balance - I was too much into the strength side of the fitness, now I feel I am getting a more balanced profile. All I have to do is reduce Body Fat ......

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I am the same as you rj1265. I have been a back in rugby for about 15 years. So when I went tri training with the local club for the first time, they picked on the way I moved my arms, landed on my feet etc. Saying they could tell I had been sprint training, and snap speed training all these years.

And like you, now I am quite fit, I also think god if i was 2 stone lighter at 12.5 stone, then I would also be a flyer.

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    One of the corner stones of training is that it should be specific to the event or sport you are talking part in. It follows that they defintion of fitness is also going to depend on your event or sport. So fitness is how well adapted your body is to the specific event. At what I would consider my fittest I was about 16.5 stone, about 2 stone heavier than I am now, and couldn't do a triathlon as fast as I can now. But back then I was a back row forward who ate girlie backs for breakfast and I was certainly well adapted to that.

Mike

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    I think fitness is also very much about your own personal goals that you wish to achieve, as you say, through a particular sport or activity.

It's kind of like that scene in "American Beauty" where Kevin Spacey starts running alongside the fitter, younger guys in his neighborhood and he asks them for advice about exercise. They quiz him on his goals and what type of fitness he wants to achieve, and he responds, "I want to look good naked."