Home Chat General Chat

Is it worth joining the BTF?

Fellow Triathletes,

Most triathlons, it seems, can be costly although they do pay you some money back or knock off money if you are in the BTF.  

I am contemplating joining the BTF but is it worth it?  I am looking to complete 6 triathlons this year - 4 Sprint & 2 Olympic so if the standard amount saved by being in the BTF is £30 then I stand to 'lose out', if I join BTF: fee £51, I by £21 - would I get enough out of joining BTF?

Thanks,

John Putt 

Comments

• You get some insurance and priority entry for certain races, plus a nice sticker for your car! It's a bit cheaper if you are also a member of a Tri club.

• mewjpmewjp Posts: 7

Latinobeat,

Thanks for that.  I noticed that there was a reduction for club members.  My potential local club is about 15 miles away & I am not sure that I want to join for two reasons 1 - distance to travel & 2 - club politics etc..  The cost is also £25 which doesn't make it worthwhile from a financial perspective either.  

Are you in a club and if so is it worth it as such?  

Cheers

John

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

Joining a club isn't just about balancing costs

Most tri clubs put on tri specific training be it race distance preparation swim sessions, transition practice or open water technique work. You don't have to go to all - just those that work for you. Its easy to avoid the politics - keep your nose out & walk away. Pool coaches are pretty poor at what they do and generally are clueless as to what is required for open water tri events. Athletics coaches also

When you next race those marshals will mostly be club members and their families giving up a race to put something back into the sport they love. That reduces entry fees for everyone

Reasons to join: Tri specific training and advice, can be quite social even if you just attend races and to put something back into the sport you love

Reasons not to join: You know the price of everything but not the value and these must balance, love yourself rather than the sport, you're Mr Moneybags and don't care about the cost of events if all marshals had to be paid and you're so good you don't need any coaching because you can pick it all up from magazines or YouTube

HarryD

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168

Aaaah HarryD - all said very elequantly!

HarryD

Thanks. That seems like pretty spot on advice to me.  Just balancing things financially but glad I came to this forum for some advice.  Which Tri Club are you in?  I've got a geographical choice between Newcastle-under-Lyme & Chester.

Many thanks,

John

• Being a member of a tri club provides the opportunity to be part of a community that extends beyond just racing. There can be quite a social side. Plus all the things that Harry said. 

• Being a member of a club can also has the benefit of having people to help you with all aspects of the training when it comes to tri, people who can give tips and encouragement or just gaining people to go out for a run or cycle with. Also most clubs have a Christmas get together and other social events through the year.

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

John

I'm in NYP Tri. A club that covers England's largest county and hosts it regular (free for members) training sessions 40 miles from where I live. In reality it exists primarily to put on the Ripon Standard distance tri (there is no finer). Other activities such as junior tri, coaching and socials come about because members see a need and put them on

I've got to know most of the local triathletes (I'm the third best in our street & it's not a very long one) through NYP and we do get together for bike rides or in the local pool

Having to choose can be difficult. Only you can know what you want from a club and what you're prepared to put back in. I'm sure both clubs will post details of training and other activities on their websites

Best of luck

HarryD

• AlroAlro Posts: 1

I have no association with either Chester or Newcastle.  However, The City of Chester Triathlon Club organise the Deva Triathlon which won British Triathlon Event of the Year 2013 - see video on http://www.britishtriathlon.org/

Alro

Thanks for that.  I have signed up for it.  It will be my first Olympic distance triathlon so I am looking forward to it with some trepidation!

Cheers

John