Home Chat Race Chat

Talkback: TV chef Gordon Ramsay to race Ironman Wales this September

I wonder how he got into this event then? Charity place? Perhaps the Ironman bosses encourage celebrities to enter thinking that it's good marketing/PR? In my opinion it's the exact opposite and devalues our sport. GR has disrespected Kona by making that his first Ironman event. He may pay for that on the Wales course - too tough for him (I hope)!!

Comments

• gb901gb901 Posts: 148
    Yes, sells out in record time, yet, surprisingly GR has a place! Somehow can't imagine him on his laptop eagerly submitting his online entry as soon as the event opened?
  • Don't be so bloomin' cynical! Yes it's true that he probably got given his place from the organisers but I think it's a fantastic opportunity to get the sports name out there. Like it or not Gordon Ramsay is more famous than a large majority of the podium winners at Ironman events. The entire sport of triathlon can benefit from an appearance from a celebrity like him.

And regardless of whether you don't like that he's making an appearance or not. When did it ever become acceptable to disrespect someone for completing an or competing in an Ironman?! You should never forget how hard an Ironman is and we should congratulate anyone who turns up and finishes. After all, he may be celebrity enough to get into the race for free, but it's not going to help him train. That he'll have to do himself.

• Good point Tom. I understand the critisism of celebrities being given a 'free place' in an event, but they're the ones that will have to finish it. They're not anonymous either. We could limp in at 17 hrs, go home and plan to work on our development areas, but the pressure on them to complete in a 'decent' time must be huge.

Hats off to anyone who FINISHES an Ironman regardless on how they got there. At some point, they've had to put in the effort