Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    medical staff always so clinical

swim this morning

4*50 (1min rest)

4*300m (2min rest)

2*50m (30s)

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hey loon - you realise now we both doing 1500m + swims in training theres a danger we might actually manage this olympic thingy yet !!!!!!!!!!!!! (admit have yet to do 1500m in one go but hey theres time and its not like its a race or anything)

madnurse (phil) [:)]
    yeah i was eeeking the distance up 100m at a time and the other week in the pub I was talking to one of my wife's work mates whos a swimmer.

When I said what I was doing (eeking the distance up) see kinda chuckled and said you can do 1500 can't you so yesterday I did just that...

bring it on...first tri in 3 weeks 400m pool swim so I am feeling cocky now (need to get rid of that feeling)

here's the mad bit .. like you i have a few a spints & a few olympics to do in th enot too distant future .. but thanks to me old pal orca the wetsuit ... its not the open water olympic swims i am worried about anymore ...its the 500m sprint in a pool (ie without me suit) the difference it makes when you have one on. Oh yeh was going to ask have you a tri suit ? wondered if you have swam in it - what the drag like if you have ? am going to wear under my suit (to save time iin transition) for open water swims .. wondered what they like to swim in instead of trunks (sounds a dumb question but if you dont know you dont know...)

mad
    Don't have a tri suit.....

seems like an over kill when using an MTB and so forth..

I'd reckon the drag will be minimal as they (from what I gather) are just all in one swiming constumes on the hole.

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    except there arte no holes!

i got a Sugoi trisuit recently and scared everyone at the pool by wearing it training. i'm not sure that it reduces drag but i felt good swimming in it. THe real benefits come outside the pool, no need to add other layers just get on the bike and then run.

I'm looking forward to Sunday when i wipe that smile off my face al la Loony

david
    a.m. SWIM (not that I should insult you all by calling it a swim)

omfg how bad was I .. I can only put some down to my having got used to a wetsuit (today was au natural) & my cold ....

100m breast w/up

20 x 50m crawl 60 sec recovery

200m breast w/down

pathetic that I was .. I havent succumbed to the urge to shoot myself ..yet

p.m. BIKE (spinning 60mins)

madnurse (I was the slippery fish)

p.s. if i paint my wetsuit pink do you think the would notice it on a pool based tri
    Don't forget to paint speedo's on there as well..

reckon you are probably rights it just felt odd sans wetsuit - I suspect you'll get used to it

• jojojojo Posts: 76
    hi guys!

Just come back from a good swim session - first in weeks - but felt good - definitely feel more comfortable with the front crawl and now think (touch wood) I've got a breathing pattern.

Couple of questions for you ...

1. Any tips for swimming in a straight line (I really am not very popular in my gym pool)

2. Nervous that I'll do the swim - then be knackered - and then not be able to get out the water - I tried it today - my arms are just too weak - is it just a case of practise and building up the arms (both of which I'm doing)

I feel ok doing fc now - but it's hard to train in a swimming pool - I find that when I reach the end - turning round puts me off my stroke.

Apart from that quads are a bit tight today - so been doing lots of stretches in prep for a long run tomorrow.

Read the advice about cutting down alcohol - it's sooo true ... but so difficult to do but I definitely train better when I haven't drunk for a while.

2 weeks on sunday then off to greece tri training camp - hooray

Jo
    would i love to join you in Greece. it's about time we had some decent weather

David
    [color=#ff0033]"ooh u flirt[/color] !!!!!!!!!"
    Race pace run this morning

not speedy gonzalez but was faster for my 4km loop...next time I do RP will be my first sprint tri in 3 weeks will aim for the pace today hopefully will be fitter by then so should be okay

The facts

4.18km* in 24:38.28 (ahr 174) 10.2km/h

*according to google pedometre thing

Jojo.

Do your hands cross the centre line of your body when you swim? if they do that might cause the snaking..you could also try following a line on the bottom of the pool..finally which is good practice for open water look forward every now and again(every 3rd breath).. bad technique but it means you wont go off course and swim an extra 100m

a.m. swim

1 x 250m breaststroke w/up

10 x 75m crawl (focus on stroke technique)

1 x 250m breastroke w/down

more later ....
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Like we wouldn't all love to be in Greece training rather than working and training in this crappy weather..[:(]

good day yesterday...

4 mile x/c run through Culloden woods... chasing Bonnie Princes ghost.. he must have been one hell of a runner

then Coached swim session last night... nearly drowned trying to do butterfly... silly billy! Didn't half work my shoulders tho!

Out on the bike later... at least its warming up in Sunny (not) inverness (the frost was only an inch thick this morning) lol[:D][8D]
  • 3speed3speed Posts: 16
    Jojo,

when you swim are you looking slightly ahead (45 degrees)? also keep yor head still - I mean No movement in between breathing and as soon as you breathe get your head back down ito your swimming pos, even a small movement of the head can cause a lot of 'snaking'!!

Try standing in front of a mirror and practising your fc arms - you should be able to see if your head moves as you rotate your arms. your shoulders should roll but your head should remain still ( rotating round your longtitudinal axis -spine to you and me). when you come to take a breath just let your head turn with the rotation of your shoulders (you dont need to force tur your head), breathe and then let your head move back down into the swim pos as your shoulders start to rotate in the opposite direction as the other arm begins to pull.

loony's right about the centre line biss with the hands - try to keep them nearer to the outerline of the body.

Hope this makes some sense. It's just practise, it'll just click and you'll soon feel as though youre flying thru the water !!!
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thought it would be a good idea to stick at 32Kg rucksack on my back and go for a run. Good idea my arse.

I managed somewhere between jogging and walking, and only did a mile.

The bonus is my calves were aching, and pumpimg like mad, with lactic building up within minutes. So that means there was some good work on them.

Moral of the story - Don't punch above your own weight.

Jason

**You will always miss 100% of the shots you don't take**

20th

35mins luchtime run (20mins uphill to the forestry back in 15mins)

2,800m swim as

3 x 400m fc 400 zip ups, 400 swim, 400 pull

12 x 100 im alt kick, drill, pull

400 fc catchup
    jojo,

I read your post again - do you mean youre swimming diagonally across the pool? ( or moving from one side of the lane to the other). Are you breathing on one side only?

If youre breathing on only one side it would indicate that your stroke is stalling while you take your breath, this would veer you to one side - is it the same side all the time? Without seeing you swim it's really hard for me to say. Can you get someone to watch you swim?

If you can, ask them to look at the revolution of your arms is there a pause in the cyle when your head moves? how far does your head move when you breathe in and for how long does your face stay out of the water?

After you breathe in and your head returns to the swim pos remember to trickle breathe a small amount of air out until your just going to turn for the next breath and then blow out explosively - so that as soon as your mouth clears the water you can breathe in. This way you reduce the amount of time your body is not streamlined and therfore the amount of veer you could have.

hope this helps

andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your informative posts. I do breathe mainly to one side ... so that could be the problem - but when I do my tri camp (sorry guys to keep rubbing it in) then I get an analysis so am hoping to pick up major tips then so hopefully that will help.

I am letting out a trickle of breath (another tip I picked up) so am getting there slowly .... I know it just takes practice ... I just hate doing swimming training.

It's definitely a run day today down in sunny London and for once I'm looking forward to it.

JoJo
    Said i was tapering for this weekend so Thursday eve i went out and did a fast 4.5m run which felt good and then yesterday eve i spent setting up my bike, rasied the saddle again for the race as i dropped it for training. washed and cleaned it and then found that my new cateye micro had stopped working[:(][:(].

Took out both the batteries and dryed them and it started to work again[;)]

Didn't sleep at all well Thursday night; early night but couldn't get to sleep. Much better last night, lots of pasta, water and an early night. Getting so twitchy; why? I've been running races for ten years and the only one that comes close to this level of hype was London last year. I wanted to do a Triathlon when i hit 40, but 6 six years later i have not yet succeeded. All that energy just sloshing around my body wanting to be on the course.

Talk to you all tomorrow afternoon

David
    morning morning !!!!!

a.m. - run (60 mins - just on 8 mile)

p.m. - swim (90 mins coached skills session with tri club)

madnurse [:D]
    your run's coming along Nurse.

Keep it up

David
    thanks David - felt much better on 2nd half - still shaking off 3 gallons of green mucus (ie cold vurus shite) - if only my swim would improve

mad [:D]
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi all!

Out on the bike last night after somehow managing to get a bit of sunburn[:@]!!! (best not to ask)

10mile TT in just over 30 mins.. not sure if this is any good or not! (Can anyone give me a comparison?)

Out for a slow run this afternoon -- about 6 miles!

good luck anyone racing tomorrow.. my first one next weekend!

jazdog
    I hope Dog that your 10m TT was on your bike? that's a fair time. anything sub 30 would be ok and get down to sub 26 and you will be a true cyclist.

Keep working on it, sprint up all the hills you can find, and try interval training on the flat.

DAvid
    Today

cycled for 22km - it's really coming on now - level 7 - it takes a long time but I don't feel at all tired - it just hits me when I do the run - 32.5 mins at 12km/h

Done a lot this week so quite pleased.
    another day at the grind !!!

a.m. bike - 60 mins spinning (pushed maximally throughout - huge buzz factor)

p.m. weights - back & tri's

madnurse (phil) [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • 18km on the bike, took 45 mins, so 24km/h
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Well yesterday did 2.7 miles, with 2 minutes warm up, then 1 minute sprint (ish), then 1 minute rest. All the way around.

Today 7 mile bike ride, then straight into a 2.7 mile run
    The one thing i should have done before today is brick sessions, with shoe changes and cold hands. sounds like your getting to grips with it all

David