Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Clip on aero bars

Hi, can I put some clip on aerobars on my carbon drop handlebars?

I have an N2A from planet x with stelcof premium drops. Planet x tried to fit some but failed and failed to advise or supply any others! 

Some are not keen to fit them as the handlebars migt crumble???

Comments

• mdavamdava Posts: 4

Some are not keen to fit them as the handlebars might crumble???

This seems to me to be a very good reason not to fit them!  A set of alloy drop bars needn't add a lot to the cost.

• I also have a planet x N2A! I was told by my local bike shop that you can put clip on bars on any bike that has aluminium bars. My N2A has aluminium bars.

What you cannot do is put clip on bars on carbon bars as this can cause them to crack.  

• Orlando SOrlando S Posts: 2

I have a bike set up w/ some Easton EC90 SLX Carbon bars. I fitted some Profile Design T2 Plus DL Aerobars that are draft-legal, by clamping them really close to the stem. Ideally you want your aerobar clamps to almost touch your stem clamp, like that you're sure that you're using the reinforced section on the drop bars. Obviously you need to respect the proper torque for installing carbon bars. I've had this setup for over a year, with plenty of bumpy miles and lots of use and no problems. Hope this helps!

BTW, when I googled this same problem, I found that practically everyone says this is a no-no. But then I found a technical FAQ for my bars, and discovered you can clamp clip-ons onto them, as long as you do it on the reinforced clamping section. Makes sense!

• David BDavid B Posts: 16

The only Carbon road bars I know of that actually say you can fit clip-ons are from Syntace, their May be others but not come across them

• For clip on bars is there a big loss by going with shorty bars that can more easily be fit to a traditional road bike without as many changes to the fit