Home Training for a Triathlon

Cycling

I currently do a 10km cycle at the gym in about 37mins. I am sweating buckets and really push myself. I see other peoples time and it's about 15 mins faster. How do I reduce my time, coz my little legs are going as fast as they can.

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

Going flat out during each session will not effectively build tri fitness.

Whole books are written on the subject and coaches spend years learning their craft. So tap into that expertise

Best book I've come across that is suitable for newbies is 'Starting Out Triathlon' by Paul Huddle & Roch Frey. Available from Amazon from £3 secondhand

Hope this helps

• StillmoreStillmore Posts: 25
    Thank you for the advice. I'm real newbie and don't have a clue.
  • risris Posts: 1,002

if you've not been cycling long then give yourself a break - if others have been riding longer then will have become faster. 

keep going - read some of the books and try a few things out.i'm sure you'll get faster! 

Thank you, I haven't been doing it long at all and have no experience either. Would you recommend, doing it in a harder gear or try not or a mixture of the 2? I am trying to avoid thunder thighs lol.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    Problem with indoor cycling is that it doesn't replicate road riding that well - you wouldn't ride for 30mins in one gear on the road! Well, maybe in pancake flat bits of Norfolk... I'd vary it (sort of like a spin class would - some light spins and structured harder efforts), but that's my preference and others might disagree.
    I think I tend to agree with you. Good muscle and aerobic in one x