Home Chat General Chat

Shave or not to Shave (Men)

What are the Pro's and Cons of shaving for a race?

Comments

• Mike, our bike guru, says "Yes, do it!".

Further discussion in the 220 offices reveals benefits of shaved legs are tenuous (it’s unlikely to make you faster), however it looks cool and should you be unlucky enough to have a crash, you won't spent ages picking hairs out of your road rash.

Oh - they also advise checking with your wife/girlfriend before going ahead 

PS. I've just realised you don't mention legs in your question, so I just assumed. If you're considering shaving off a beard to race, I have little experience in this area! Anyone else want to help….?

• risris Posts: 1,002

with my legs? no fear.

i think that swimming may gain a marginal benefit from being less hirsute, but given the state of most triathletes swimming skills i think the lack of leg/body hair is unlikely to be the biggest issue...

as i understand it pro cyclists tend to shave their legs for the reasons helen describes - easier on the bandaging/cleaning of wounds, and i think slightly easier for regular massages. 

whether it looks cool is surely dependent on whether you have finely sculpted pins or pathetic pale pipe-cleaners. 

• ALTHOUGH!!!!

This dude grew a beard to stop his face getting stung by jellyfish...

http://www.220triathlon.com/news/sean-conway-adventurer-of-the-year-2014-no-one-will-come-close-to-tommy-godwin/8639.html

and that's why i'll never be able to swim around the UK. i think i could do the swim bit OK, just lack the required beard growing skills. 

my lifetime's dream - cast aside like so many bic II razors.

• Might help you get your wetsuit of quicker...

• ris….

What you need is a waterproof version of one of these:

http://www.beardhead.com

Don't ever say I'm not full of helpful advice!

fabulous - with the right hat/hair (makeup/dress) i could look like conchita. 

• Ga3Ga3 Posts: 14

I don't shave my legs....the wife says if I shave my legs she'll stop shaving hers

• I like that Ga3. I might use that as a threat next time the other half makes a fuss about my bikes being left in the hall not the garage...

• Hi Helen

Thanks for the advice. The deed was done last night, my wife was in hysterics. Fortunatly I had thought ahead and hid her phone so no pictures apearing anywhere soon.

Cheers

Andy

• We demand photos. Based on the amount of top-level sports advice you've had for free on this forum, I think it's the least you can do!!