Home Chat General Chat

Jump from Ironman 70.3 to 140.6 in a month..?

48m swim
3h 13m bike - average heart rate - 151
1h 57m run - average heart rate - 146

My max tested heart rate is 193 but I came nowhere near this on the day.

The swim was pretty tough for me, I guess as you'd expect with it being my first experience of both open water and a mass start. A fair chunk of it was done breaststroke. The water was far from clear and visibility was poor. But I got through it.

My heart rate remained, on average, aerobic throughout the bike and run stages. Indeed the run felt like the easiest (although 15 mins or so off my PB) I've ever done.

All this tells me there's more in me and I'm capable of more. I loved the atmosphere and the whole mantra of the event. So much so I've noticed Ironman Zurich still has some places left for July 27th!

So, what do you reckon? Everyone thinks I'll be OK on the run and bike, and with a month's solid swim training, I'll get through that too. I guess one of my biggest attributes is mental strength and determination too.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• dan1984dan1984 Posts: 3

Apologies, missed the first part of the post....

Hello,

I completed my first triathlon last weekend - an Ironman 70.3 in Luxembourg. I've never done an open water swim before, nor have I worn a wetsuit until on the day and I don't have an aero/tri bike. And to make matters worse I was hospitalised the night before the event through to 06:15, so almost no sleep had. Anyhow, I managed to complete with the following times:

48m swim
    3h 13m bike - average heart rate - 151
    1h 57m run - average heart rate - 146

The swim was pretty tough for me, I guess as you'd expect with it being my first experience of both open water and a mass start. A fair chunk of it was done breaststroke. The water was far from clear and visibility was poor. But I got through it.

My heart rate remained, on average, aerobic throughout the bike and run stages. Indeed the run felt like the easiest (although 15 mins or so off my PB) I've ever done.

All this tells me there's more in me and I'm capable of more. I loved the atmosphere and the whole mantra of the event. So much so I've noticed Ironman Zurich still has some places left for July 27th!

So, what do you reckon? Everyone thinks I'll be OK on the run and bike, and with a month's solid swim training, I'll get through that too. I guess one of my biggest attributes is mental strength and determination too.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

• risris Posts: 1,002

have you ridden 100+ miles, or run more than 13mi? 

• dan1984dan1984 Posts: 3

Hi,

Yes, a few centuries, the longest being 125 miles / 8500 ft of climbing, I think 8h30m.

I've ran 15 miles before.  All my half marathons have been organised events.  When I ran at cruising speed at the weekend it felt remarkably calm and not too stressful.  The only thing was the usual gassy and uncomfortable gut.

• risris Posts: 1,002

knowing (believing?) that you can do the distance is the most important thing - time and miles seem to stop following normal behaviour after about 80miles of riding. 

the difference between 70.3 and 140.6 isn't double, it's more. the psychological side is often the hard bit and if you know what it is like to sit on a bike all day then you might be OK at full distance. as you know from cycling 100+ miles, you'll be double +15%+ your bike time at 70.3, and the run will be slower at the start, let alone the end! 

only you will know!

if it was me i think i'd get a proper run at it next year, get the training in that sorts the gassy gut and smooths the swim out. but if you just have to do it in 2014 then i'd not surprised if you came back in 5weeks with a great finishing story!