Home Chat General Chat

2 Piece or suit

Hi all,

I am looking to complete a few Full Distance Triathlons over the next 18months. I am now looking atmy kit and have decided to invest in a new tri suit, however during my research I have found 2 piece options. Can you please post some advice as to 2 piece is betteror worse than a single suit. Swims will be in lakes although there will be one sea swim possibly. Some of the open water swims may not require wetsuits (if I am lucky or is it unlucky?).

Thanks for your help

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

two-piece is often preferred for long distance as it makes it easier to go to the loo - less time consuming than trying to wriggle out of a trisuit. one thing that makes a suit 'better' is coverage - if you are long in the body then a two-piece might leave a gap - midriff peeking out can look a bit... rubbish, and lower back can be at risk of sunburn (as it isn't the most obvious place to remember to cover in sunscreen).

i tend to use a trisuit for short (up to middle distance/HIM) tri's, and my only long distance race was in a two-piece and I was grateful it was! you may feel you'll be fine with a one-piece on a longer event.

• David BDavid B Posts: 16

I agree with above post...plus I wear a Tri top but proper cycle shorts for the ride in IM and change in to Tri bottoms for run, only takes a matter of seconds to change but the added comfort is well worth it

• tony3843tony3843 Posts: 2

Thank you both for your replies I think a 2 piece is the way forward. Next question is are there any recommendations I have about £150 altogether.

champ systems make great kit, at least they do for my club (with the finest collection of flowers and butterflies seen on any tri kit). 

• MacaroneMacarone Posts: 58

£150 should buy you a decent two piece - Orca, 2XU, Castelli, TYR to name but few. They all fit differently so trying a few on is worth the hassle as you'll need to be comfortable. I like having small gel pockets in the top which I know are secure so I can swim and bike with gels without worrying about losing them. Some tri tops have larger pockets at the back which are easier to get things out of but not so secure. Some offer higher levels of compression, all personal preference I guess.

• David BDavid B Posts: 16

personally really like Orca stuff but you need to try first to see how it fits your body shape, you'll be in it for a while, Orca also do a Tri top with short sleeves which is great in colder races and sunnier    ones too

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408

I used to wear a one piece then switched to a two piece - more comfortable. The other thing to bear in mind when buying a two piece - ensure you get the top with extra length otherwise it will look like a boob tube.

s11 - nothing beats the look of a tri muffin-top. 

go extra short on the top and get some speedos for that retro mid-90's look. It works for Faris Al-Sultaan, so why not the age grouper!

• Daviddavidbalewanadoocouk

My 1st Iron distance race is later this year & I'm planning to do exactly as you suggested with regards to cycle shorts & then changing. Do you wearing anything under the cycle shorts? (I'm guessing not) but If not are people fussed with the quick nudity?

i've only done one IM distance race and wore tri shorts in the swim with a plain top (to reduce chance of wetsuit chaffing). in T1 i chucked a pair of cycling bib shorts over the top, and a bike jersey in place of the swim top.

in t2 i took off the cycling jersey and bibs and put the matching tri top to the shorts (that i'd worn throughout) on. the tri top was a half-zip and was a bit of a bugger to get on!

in general the larger long distance events have changing tents where full nudity is OK, but for smaller and shorter races you may find that you are changing in the transition area. 

generally, you wouldn't wear anything under cycling (or tri shorts) as the pad is supposed to be close to the skin and any fabric between can chafe. tri shorts under seemed ok though, probably because it was designed to be there and had a small chamois pad.