Home Training for a Triathlon

"Artificial Sweetener Free" hydration tabs?

Hi

I'm sorry if this has been asked in the forum but I couldn't easily see that it had.

I am looking for something like a High5 zero electrolyte tab that is free from artificial sweeteners. I've come across 'Zym's' from an internet surf, but these appear to only be available in the US. Am I missing an obvious brand in the UK?

Thanks so much for any pointers!

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

according to their website, nuun uses stevia as it's sweetener like zym does... should be broadly available 

• Many thanks Ris - I guess the question I should have asked is do you know of a brand that doesn't use artificial sweeteners (at all). I didn't pick up in the use of stevia in the Zym's. Doh!

i'm not sure - i've not found any (admittedly a cursory look). quite a few (nuun, gu) use stevia - it is apparently a naturally occuring plant sweetener. still an added sweetener, though. 

• Hi Ris - thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

• JohnmanJohnman Posts: 3
    The 'neutral' flavour High5 Zero tabs are sweetener free. These are the only ones I could find. They are flavourless (apart from the salt) and I've gotten used to them. You can flavour them yourself though with juice, cordial or your regular energy drink..
  • BethBeth Posts: 3
    Not sure where my text just went... Anyway in a nutshell check out H2pro hydrate. UK company making super good hydration tabs. They may be able to help

re: high5 - are you sure? High5's website states it has sucralose and sorbitol...

high 5 neutral

edit - looks like the h20go does too. interesting to see another hydration tab company in the mix, though - thanks beth.

Grrrr 220 need to sort out the forum for iPhone and the reply to post signing malarkey that means you post empty as above...

Anyway:

@Ris their website is confusing but I'm looking at the ingredients lists on the actual tubes for Berry flavour and Neutral flavour zero tabs. Berry lists sweetened as ingredients and neutral does not. So unless high5 has decided to break the law, Zero neutral tabs are sweetener free. (Also there's nothing sweet about the flavour...)

Ps high5 is a UK company too

johnman - you are right about the ingredients list. i think they have confused the list of additives and allergens given with the neutral with the others - it acknowledges natural flavours and identifies sweeteners which would seem odd that they aren't in the ingredients.

touch confusing, though!

posting from mobile devices seems to work for me if i am already logged in - if i write a post as logged out then the process of logging in to validate the post makes it blank. bit weird...

• Hi all,

We're working to fix the problem with posting from mobile devices – deeply annoying I know, so bear with us, we're on it!

Thanks Helen. Could you also make it easier to sign in pls? Searched mobile site and couldn't find a sign-in tab anywhere (might just be me) so had to go through the malarkey again...

Ris - very confusing from High5. Frankly I wonder why anyone bothers with sweetners in sports nutrition. They add nothing and are linked to all sorts of issues... I avoid them like the plague
  • Thanks Johnman - will pass this on to the web team as well. 

• to be honest I haven't been able to find any in the uk which are free from sorbitol or other sweeteners. I suffer from IBS and have resorted to purchasing SKRATCH hydration powder from the USA via ebay (extremely good by the way but very expensive). If anyone else can unravel this I would also be grateful. Wholeheartedly agree with the WHY add these pointless chemicals which cause so many people GI distress, not to mention carcinogenic properties as well. 

• Hello, 

My company will be launching some soon. www.pushnutrition.eu to complement our additive free gels.

You need to use some sort of sweetener, we will use stevia.

James