Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Seat Height

Hi

Just about got my tri bike seat height sorted along with fore-aft etc

Should I go for the same seat height for my road & mountain bikes? I'm thinking I should. If not are there good reasons. I know that the fore-aft will be different

Thanks in anticipation

HarryD

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

i've had a road bike fit with a bit of additional tweaking after to get a tolerable tt position on the same bike. the differences that were made for mine i think are fairly common - the saddle is a bit higher and more forward for the tt and the front end lower (slammed the headset). this was to get my knees/legs a bit more 'in front' of the cranks, and my body lower on the front.

i'm not sure i'd want to replicate that on my other bikes (and i often set the saddle height down and back if i'm not likely to tt on this particular road bike), the hip angle is very open, the front end very low and it is set for being forward on the cranks, not back. 

• I have a TT and a MTB but they have their own settings since they are used for completely different things. I have done a full Retul fitting on my TT in order to make my long distances a bit more comfortable and when I look at those values it is not even close to my MTB. 

My seat is less forward, my saddle height is different as well, the cockpit is also different

• with the seat angle on a tri bike and road bike can be different up to 7.5 degrees it is near impossible to get it spot on, their will not be enough movement.  the overall stability will change dramatically with the positions, and may become dangerous. You may find after a long ride your lower back will hurt and the shoulders.

Train on both bikes but set them up differently, for what they are used for. You cannot change what they are not.