Home Training for a Triathlon

Ideal Weight

I have happily lost 4.5st over a couple of years, down to 10st (height 5ft 7' age 51) and have done a couple of Olympic distance tri's this year.

I am determined not to let the weight return and have targeted 10st as the weight to maintain. If it starts to creep up, then I reduce intake/increase activity - it works.

However, it does occur to me that I might add some muscle mass through training and maintaining the same weight may actually be counter productive and restricting development.

Any advice on a recommended approach would be appreciated.

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

i think you might need to change your mindset from training to lose weight, to training to achieve a different set of goals (speed, longer distance, looking hench/having guns of steel etc).

being an absolutist about weight may be incompatible with those goals, in which case does it matter? provided you are healthy, feel positive about yourself and are able to achieve the goals you set then being 10st 6 might be the best thing for you. 

depending on what you want to achieve you might need outside help (coach, nutritionist or something) that can develop an approach you have confidence in. 

• risris Posts: 1,002

oh, and well done on the weight loss! great work

• Well done on the weight loss, you must be feeling great. This is a decent book on the subject matter, assuming your aim is to be as fast as you can for your races. It's worth bearing in mind 'race weight' is not sustainable all year so you should expect some weight change but it gives you a good idea of where to aim for and how to do it safely so you don't injury yourself

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Weight-Matt-Fitzgerald/dp/1934030511

• acsacs Posts: 4

Thank's for the responses.

Amazon pointed me at the updated 2013 version of the Racing weight book which I have duly ordered.

It looks to be spot on for what I am after.

Cheers.