Home Chat General Chat

Open Water Swim - BEFORE 19 May

[color=#cc0099]Hey there folks, I have seen heaps of advertising for the open water swim out at Eton on 19th May - however that is the day i am doing my first tri so i kinda need to practise my open water swimming BEFORE this... [:o][/color]

[color=#cc0099][/color]

[color=#cc0099]Does any one know about an open water swim session before 19 May or do i just satisfy myself with going to the open water pool once before the race?[/color]

Thanks [:)]

Comments

• pdundepdunde Posts: 99
    depends does it have to be local to where you live? There are some places in the North West open from May 3rd.
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Hi Barbara,

If you live near Eton, then the best place to go is Heron Lake in Wraysbury, just off the M25 (junction 13 I think). It's open from the 29th April, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, 0600-0900. I think SBR in Windsor are the best people to talk to if you want more infomation.

David.
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    19th of may?

Are you doing the Lanzarote? That will be my first open water swim too (if thats what event your doing?)

Plenty of pool swimming using all techniques, head under water, above water, total immersion, with kick, with slight kick etc etc is what ive been doing and plenty of pull buoy work to simulate the wet suit balance effect.

Ive got 9 days over there to swim before the race so thats plenty of time to 'get a feel' for it all[;)]

Good luck with the event
  • On this topic - Does anyone know of an open water swimming venue in Yorkshire that will be open before the 20th of May (Wetherby Tri) - need to have at least one go before my first open water tri!
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    [color=#990033]Hi Guys, thanks heaps for those tips! I went out to Heron lake last Sunday which was great! MOST people were nice (although i found some people a little territorial over the showers...) But honestly I feel a lot better about the swim now! Does anyone know how long the swim at Heron Lake is if you follow the bouys around?[/color]

[color=#990033][/color]

[color=#990033]Thanks again!!![/color]
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Barbara,

I'm not sure how long it is, I haven't been down yet this year and it has varied a bit over the last couple of years, but I think it is around 800 m. You can always ask one of the guys from SBR that are there, they should know.

David.
  • cottontailcottontail Posts: 8
    Hi Barbara - I am also doing Eton this weekend, but doing Sunday. I have been to Heron Lake twice, and on Sunday I sttended a Rick Kiddle Training Course - very good as I had a panic attack when I first got in the lake! The course is just under 1000m all the way round! Planning on going tomorrow morning for a last minute session before the weekend.

Hope you have a good race on Saturday.

• BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    [color=#cc3399]Hey Cottontail - I'm doing Eton on Sunday too! I thought it was Sat but i'm doing Sunday. I'm QUITE nervous i must say - it was only Tuesday night last night and i woke up at least 4 times during the night stressing about it... Maybe I'll see you on Sunday! Good luck [/color][:)]
  • hi phil d, you mentioned open water venues in the north west. do you know where any are? i live in chorley but cant think of any that actually allow swimming. cheers