Home Training for a Triathlon

Lack of buoyancy

When pool swimming I really struggle to prevent my lower body from sinking, I notice this less in open water due to having a wetsuit on but I'm sure I'm still wasting a lot of energy. I have tried using a pool buoy (two actually) but that makes it even worse. It's as if I need to kick just to keep my legs afloat. I try to remain conscious of my head position but this doesn't seem to help. Just wondered if there are any other common mistakes in technique that may cause this and if so what drills I can practice to correct it?

Comments

• I'm surprised that a pull buoy doesn't help as it does with me (i suffer from the same issue!) 

I've been advised that a lot of it is down to core strength, i'm currently suffering with a hernia which may explain my lack of core strength but using the pull buoy does help me immensely. I've taken to the view at the moment that I shall use my legs to keep me afloat rather than for propulsion and rely on my arms more for that.

Apologies if it doesn't help a great deal, but i'll be interested in responses also!

• Thanks for the reply.

It's interesting that you mention the core as I have core instability due to my lower back and abs being dominant over the other core muscles. It makes sense that this could contribute to the problem. However I've also been told by my swim coach that it may simply be that I'm carry too much muscle and not enough fat, which being from a rugby background and a regular gym goer I'm probably not the ideal build for tris. That said I don't believe it should be as hard as it is to stay afloat regardless of my size?

• DDTTRIDDTTRI Posts: 21

Sinking legs can be for lots of reasons, as previously mentioned it can be due to core or poor kicking technique. However normally a buoy would take this away.

I would look at making sure you are exhaling fully in the water so that chest is less buoyant.

If pull buoys aren't helping I would take a look at the catch phase of your stroke, you could be pushing down on the water at the start of your catch, which would sink your legs.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch.html

• DDTTRIDDTTRI Posts: 21

Being from a rugby background check out

http://www.swimtypes.com/arnie.html

the Arnie, swim type at swim smooth, "Arnie / Arnette Profile

The Arnie is often  male, of strong build and commonly with a background in team sports such as football and rugby. The female 'Arnette' is less overtly muscular  but otherwise has very similar attributes. Their lean muscle mass and limited upper-body flexibility gives them very sinky legs when swimming. This means that one of their primary areas of focus needs to be improving their body position."

They have a series of fixes linked to each swim type.

• Thanks for the feedback DDTTRI

I reckon I'm definitely guilty of pushing down on the water rather than pulling back and as for the Arnie swimming style, that whole page is literally me!

Thanks for the guidance, plenty to work on I guess.

• hi I read your post and I Kind of had the same experience and I watched this video.. I hope it could help you as it helps me Good luck and Godbless
    http://triathlonresearch.org/triathlon-swimming-part-3-work-less-swim-better-in-triathlon/