Home Chat General Chat

middle distance advice?? please.

having done a number of sprints last year and an olympic, also a few 10ks and a half marathon this year. I have signed up for a middle distance 1.9k open water, 90k bike and 21k run in August. I usually swim about 2 to 4k a week (in a pool) run approx 20k (mostly on the flat) and cycle 90 to 140k, along with some gym work.

I will be entering a few sprints etc before August, which are all pool based.

My question is How much training should I be doing? and is it possible to mostly train in a pool for an open water tri?

Comments

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Answers on the back of a stamp please lol [;)]
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Hound Dog, sounds like you're doing a fair bit of training. I did Wimbleball last year on around 7-8hrs a week & finished in just over 6:30. I did almost all my training in the pool.

Good luck.

Rob
    Thanks for that Rob and well done. I dont have much to guage what training I do and wonder if Im doing enough or too much even! Sometimes feel strong and fit other times totally wrecked, then guilt if I miss a swim....etc
    At the moment I'm training on the basis of two weeks of 'build' (quite hard, long sessions) & a week of recovery (less intense, & less mileage). That seems to be working well. A gradual build up helps stop getting injured too. If you miss a session for whatever reason, my advice is not to try & catch up by doing more the next day/week. And don't be tempted to add the missed sessions into a recovery week. Just accept that you will miss the odd session. Which half are you doing?
    Will take that on board thanks Rob. I am always missing something due to work and then trying to fit it in somewhere else. How much training do you do per week? are you training for an Ironman? Ive entered a race at Aberfeldy in August,Its called a middle distance (which I presume is the same distance as a half Ironman?) cant wait but want to do well. I know its a long way off but might try and find another for earlier in the year.
    I'm training for IMUK this year. Currently putting in 9-11hrs per week, which'll go up to 15-16 at the peak (much to the wife's disgust). Your 'middle distance' will be a half IM I expect. Got my first race this Sun (sprint), then an 'almost Oly' the following week, & a half IM early June. Looking forward to getting the season kick started. Good luck with your training/races.

Rob
    Calendars filling up nicely for you Rob, thanks for that. Cant wait to get my first sprint result either.I think I'll need to up my training[:@] Good luck to you too.